• FREE SPEECH SOCIAL MEDIA

If you're looking for a Free Speech Social Media site, check out Blabbook.com

- NO FACT CHECKING - NO SHADOW BANNING - NO POINT OF VIEW CENSORSHIP

When are full-size trucks going to have Auto Start / Stop technology

toyotafan

Toyota Truck Club Founder
Staff member
1000 Posts
Having been in a rental Chevy Malibu for the past 10 days (see: https://www.toyotatruckclub.com/forum/threads/dealer-sold-me-a-used-tundra-as-a-new-tundra.355954/) there is one thing that's new to me that I can appreciate. It's the auto stop start technology. It goes by a lot of names, but essentially, when you stop at a red light or in stop and go traffic, the engine will shut off while you're foot is on the brake and the engine rapidly starts up when you release the brake or when the battery gets depleted to the point in which you will lose lighting or AC if it's on full blast.

The result is remarkable. In a full-size Chevy malibu, i'm getting upwards of 38 to 40 mph highway at 60 to 65 mph. But it's never been worse than 25 mpg in heavy city or stop and go traffic. I've read it's improving overall MPG for a typical driver by about 10%. That means for the same drive you spend 10% less on fuel because you burn 10% less fuel.

So, the question is, when will they get this fuel saving system to a full size truck?

Obvious questions? What does it do long-term for engine wear as a typical engine might see 40,000 to 50,000 start-stop cycles in it's life? The auto stop start will easily increase that number by a factor of 8 or 10.

Secondly, since it's not running for all of those extra hours, does that lack of run-time offset the extra start stop cycles? Most of those will be warm starts anyhow with dramatically larger electric starters, so is it a wash?

MuddyTacoma

Mechanic
1000 Posts
I just read that Ford plans to have this on 'all Ford vehicles' by 2020. I guess that would mean full-size trucks in that mix too. My guess is that a larger engine is going to take longer to get started, so you'll need the option to turn this off. I can see someone turning left at an intersection and when an opening between cars appears they take their foot off the brake but if it takes 1 second to start the engine that might be the difference between getting across safely and getting hit.

toyotasrule

100 Posts
I think it almost makes more sense in a truck but don't they have to put in much more expensive batteries to keep all of the electronics running when the engine cuts off? I know they move off a serpentine belt and into electric everything. Electric AC, electric power steering, electric brake assist, etc. Seems like this would have to be a $1000 to $1500 of an option (or more) just in the upgrade parts.

Reading online it looks like city-driving tests that seem to be fair and objective show that overall MPG goes up about 10%. fifth gear in the UK did a good test with the exact same amount of fuel for two runs, one with auto stop start and one without it turned on and they went about 10% more distance.

So, if i'm at 20 mpg combined right now, if I go to 22 mpg (10% increase) then if I'm paying $2.50 per gallon of gas at 12,500 miles per year ... that means I save about $136 per year, or $680 over five years. That's a hard sell to increase the complexity of the engine, add new stuff that's going to break, and if it adds costs to the vehicle then you've got to drive it for 10 years to break even.

NOW, if gas goes back up to $5.00/gallon, it's a totally different story. You're now saving $272/year and $1360 over 5 years.

Also, if you do more city driving, I have to think that you're going to move up to 15% increased fuel economy, so the numbers move up to almost $200 in savings at $2.50/gallon and $400 at $5.00/gallon.

toyotafan

Staff member
1000 Posts
FORD
Looking like you can get this in the Ford F150s now, maybe have been able to for a couple of years.

The standard engine in the F150 is a 290 hp v6. It's the 3.3L Ti-VCT V6 Engine and it come standard with Auto Start/Stop Engine Technology, according to the Ford website.

CHEVY
The Silverado also has this technology on their 5.3L v8. EPA-estimated 18 MPG city/24 highway available 5.3L V8 eAssist engine

toyotafan

Staff member
1000 Posts
If they can possibly increase fuel economy 15% or more for city driving then it makes all the sense in the world for someone who does a lot of city driving, stop-and-go driving, stoplight to stoplight, etc ... to have this technology at current gasoline prices.

Plus, the smaller and lighter the vehicle is seems to help as well, otherwise you'll have to have a big deep cycle battery (expensive) to power the electrical systems to keep them going when the engine shuts off.

However, since I seem to be driving a lot in traffic, for me I think I could see 10% overall fuel economy gain, but these systems do nothing at 60 mph on an open road.

Related Content You Might Like: