• FREE SPEECH SOCIAL MEDIA

If you're looking for a Free Speech Social Media site, check out Blabbook.com

- NO FACT CHECKING - NO SHADOW BANNING - NO POINT OF VIEW CENSORSHIP

Dealer sold me a USED Tundra as a NEW Tundra???

toyotafan

Toyota Truck Club Founder
Staff member
1000 Posts
Three Weeks Ago Tomorrow, I bought a "new" 2017 Toyota Tundra. Noticed there were a lot of scratches in the paint, they agreed in writing to fix the paint issues and give me floor mats (which were missing).

So, having been back to the dealership now FIVE TIMES to get the paint touched up, it all makes sense now. The truck really looks like a high quality 1 year old USED truck and not a new truck. The more I look at it, it seems like there are loads of rock chips and scratches in the paint, the XM radio had been registered and the 3-month subscription was gone. I asked the dealer about that point twice and never got an answer.

So this "new" Tundra had to get a fender painted at a 3rd party bodyshop, I think they repainted both front door and they still didn't get everything!!! What's going on????? They've had it in their shop for almost 2 weeks of the 3 weeks that I've owned it!!!!

SO I CALLED TOYOTA CORPORATE ...

Turns out the truck was registered to a Sewage company in October 2017 as their truck and according to Toyota it shouldn't be listed as a new truck!!!

They're asking me what documents I have to show that it was sold to me as a new truck ... I'm like. I have the Family TOYOTA BUYER'S ORDER on DEAL NO. 29756 for a NEW 2017 TUNDRA 4X4 VIN 5TFDW5F16HX673746.

I have the yellow long form "MOTOR VEHICLE RETAIL INSTALLMENT SALES CONTRACT" in which they sold me a NEW 2017 TOYOTA TUNDRA 5TFDW5F16HX673746.

Toyota is going to offer me a case manager but the won't do much. Sucks.

Edit:

Here are a few of the paint issues. They're hard to get into focus in a video but they are very clear to see when you're in person.

1st trip to the dealer

2nd trip to the dealer

3rd trip to the dealer

toyotafan

Staff member
1000 Posts
Dealer is still saying that it's a new truck. I'm not sure going on. Doesn't seem like this was registered with anyone else.

HAS ANYONE ELSE HAD SOMETHING LIKE THIS HAPPEN TO THEM BEFORE?

toyotafan

Staff member
1000 Posts
Of course, altering the odometer takes about 5 minutes if you have a "speedometer calibration" obdii tool.

MuddyTacoma

Mechanic
1000 Posts
wow, just wow. sorry about the crazy hassle on this, you have a new truck that's been at the dealer for two weeks?

toyotafan

Staff member
1000 Posts
any way you cut it I'm driving a chevy malibu for a week and a chevy colorado for a week before that and my first truck payment is due next week for a TRUCK THAT I DON'T EVEN HAVE!!!!

tibadoe

Staff member
1000 Posts
Community Leader
I would push for some extras. For example: a free extended warranty.

tbplus10

Staff member
1000 Posts
Community Leader
I had an issue like this years ago on a GMC Typhoon I bought in California. Didn't discover the issue untill 8 months later when I was shipping it to Siccily. Customs called me with issues over the vin and previous registrations. The vehicle had been sold, then traded in to the same dealership within 2 months for another new vehicle. GM was reluctant to get involved, until I got the State of California's Attorney General involved.
By California law this was a fraudulent action punishable by not less than 24 months incarceration of the sellor and a $50,000 fine for the dealership.
Check Texas law, theres probably something involving fraudulent sales, and Toyota may have warranty issues offering a "new car" warranty.

toyotafan

Staff member
1000 Posts
I did lose my cool on this.

They wrote into the contract to fix the paint. But they don't have a body shop. They're using someone across the street. Had I known they sheer volume of paint issues i never would have bought it. Pffff. Had i known the free 3 months of xm radio had been used by someone else i never would have bought it.

toyotafan

Staff member
1000 Posts
103 when i bought it. 900 now with me having driven 800 over the several days i had it including 100 miles having to go back to the dealer because the paint was so bad.

toyotafan

Staff member
1000 Posts
Dropped my truck off one week ago today. Was told it was ready and drove 30 minutes to pick it up. They fixed like 1 of the 20 paint issues we talked about when i dropped it off.

So far just driving there to drop it off and having to drive away has cost me at least 5 hours of time.

toyotafan

Staff member
1000 Posts
Hopefully they get it right this time. We're even went to the trouble of putting green tape on all of the areas in which the paint was scratched.

This is the third time and there are this many left. I'm sorry, i'm trying to be fair but this is taking a lot of my time.

toyotafan

Staff member
1000 Posts
... still waiting to hear back about my truck. Knees are starting to hurt from getting in and out of the Chevy Malibu for 10 days now. :) lol

toyotafan

Staff member
1000 Posts
I did pick it up. Truck looks great by the way. Looks like this was a deal that fell through due to financing or something and someone reported it to toyota as sold too early.

Last edited:

Related Content You Might Like: