• FREE SPEECH SOCIAL MEDIA

If you're looking for a Free Speech Social Media site, check out Blabbook.com

- NO FACT CHECKING - NO SHADOW BANNING - NO POINT OF VIEW CENSORSHIP

Someone ripped the antenna off my Tundra

toyotafan

Toyota Truck Club Founder
Staff member
1000 Posts
This is really annoying. Like seriously. There's a scratch on the side now as well. No clue.

20190721_202935.jpg
20190721_202942.jpg
20190721_203010.jpg

Bizarre.

rickc5

Our back yard
Staff member
100 Posts
Community Leader
As if you needed another crappy thing to deal with. It's no wonder we don't see too much of you around here....

People can be such buttheads. Just before I sold it, some butthead keyed the entire right side of our 2002 Tundra. After my touch-up job, it didn't look too bad. IMHO, we seem to be seeing more destructive jerks around--even here in the middle of nowhere.

toyotafan

Staff member
1000 Posts
I think this maybe was in the parking lot where the Texas rangers play. Hate to think it's something else. Maybe a kid in the neighborhood I dunno.

How do i go about removing that small piece left I there. Seems really small to tap out.

The scratch looks clearcoat only. Hopefully it can be wet sanded out.

kennythewelder

Super Moderator
Staff member
100 Posts
Try to cut a grove in it (the stud) with a dremall tool, then you can unscrew it with a small flat head screw driver. Even if you get into the housing a little, it should be ok. The new entenna should cover it from what I can tell. It shouldnt take much to back out the stud. A good welder could tac a small washer that you could grab and back out by hand. I would cover the fender with a wet rag and TIG tac a small washer onto the stud that is still in there. We take out broken bolts like that all the time here at work. As for the scratch, see if it grabs your finger nail as you pass it over the scratch. This will let you how deep it is. Mosts touch up paint these days, come with clear coat in the bottom section of the bottle. This is a sepirate container at the bottom of the bottle of touch up paint. If you fill the scratch a little over full, then come back with some wet sand paper on a sanding block, you can blend it into the OE paint. You will never be able to tell its there as long as the touch up paint matches the color, (if its down in the paint, and not just the clear coat.) And as long as you buff it out after you sand it, then wax it it will never show.

toyotafan

Staff member
1000 Posts
I have security cameras at my house but I was parked just out of sight as I've been doing home renovation and had been moving cars around so my garage and driveway could be used.

But, like I said it could have been from me being parked (where my office is located) at Globe Life Park, where the Texas Rangers play baseball. Often I work late hours and my truck is parked in a big and very public parking spot.

I disagree with the quality of work that my contractors have done, but I think that they're not the type of people who would sabotage my truck. Then again, we had a broken dishwasher, broken washing machine and broken dryer all in the last 2 weeks. Plus my truck. Plus an incomplete house and a poorly installed floor that they clearly overstated their skill levels.

toyotafan

Staff member
1000 Posts
I'm just getting around to doing this. Have been so focused on my house. This week. I'll add photos and/or a video when I do it.

toyotafan

Staff member
1000 Posts
I bought an 11" rubber mast antenna to install. Still not sure how to get this out. It's down pretty far so not sure my dremel can cut a slot into it. I'll give it a shot though.

toyotafan

Staff member
1000 Posts
I drilled off-center enough to be able to spin it out. Got some small pliars on it so i could torque it out. Here's a video. I replaced with an 8 inch rubber antenna actually. Doesn't seem to affect the radio quality.

toyotafan

Staff member
1000 Posts
I'm not sure I like the look of the 8" antenna. What does everyone think? You'll have to watch the video as I don't have any still photos of it because it was getting too dark and a black truck with a black antenna doesn't show up well at night. ;-)

kennythewelder

Super Moderator
Staff member
100 Posts
Good thing is, now your truck doesnt look like every other black Tunder rolling off of the lot.

toyotafan

Staff member
1000 Posts
The 8" just don't look right for the big Tundra.
That's what I think now that I look at it as well. Just doesn't seem quite right. I'll move up to a larger antenna or something.

I'm also concerned with reception on long trips outside of a major radio market. I already have noticed that I've lost reception to some of the stations that I can usually pickup in DFW, like a station up in Denton and one in Decatur, TX about 50 to 60 miles from me that are very faint.

rickc5

Our back yard
Staff member
100 Posts
Community Leader
Personally, I like the 8". Lots & lots of "real" 4-wheelers (not the posers) around here use those, so I'm very used to seeing them around. The stock antennas get easily broken by trees/bushes when driving narrow trails. So my vote is to keep it.

We only listen to SiriusXM, so I removed the stock antenna and replaced it with a socket head cap screw (Allen head) to keep the threads from getting rusty. The folks at the car wash were unscrewing the stock antenna every time we got the truck washed, so that's one less thing to be concerned about.

toyotafan

Staff member
1000 Posts
Personally, I like the 8". Lots & lots of "real" 4-wheelers (not the posers) around here use those, so I'm very used to seeing them around. The stock antennas get easily broken by trees/bushes when driving narrow trails. So my vote is to keep it.

We only listen to SiriusXM, so I removed the stock antenna and replaced it with a socket head cap screw (Allen head) to keep the threads from getting rusty. The folks at the car wash were unscrewing the stock antenna every time we got the truck washed, so that's one less thing to be concerned about.
Yes, this happens here too, the good car washes will do this to avoid liability, but it's such a pain to have to think about. I shouldn't have that issue anymore.

I've gone years with XM and years without. Honestly, I've been streaming bluetooth lately, but if you read my thread about health problems with wireless energy I might want to reconsider that and try XM again.

toyotafan

Staff member
1000 Posts
Haven't had any issues with it yet, except distant signals not as clear.

Related Content You Might Like: