• FREE SPEECH SOCIAL MEDIA

If you're looking for a Free Speech Social Media site, check out Blabbook.com

- NO FACT CHECKING - NO SHADOW BANNING - NO POINT OF VIEW CENSORSHIP

New Tacoma owner looking for advice for off roading... old man off roading lol!

toyotafan

Toyota Truck Club Founder
Staff member
1000 Posts
Welcome to the site. :)

Lots of questions!
What part of the country are you in? Will you be driving far to go off-roading? Day trips or will you camp out while you're off-roading?

What type of shape is your truck in? Tires? Brakes? Will you need a tonneau cover to protect your stuff?

Let's see your pics.

downtown393

Welcome to the site. :)

Lots of questions!
What part of the country are you in? Will you be driving far to go off-roading? Day trips or will you camp out while you're off-roading?

What type of shape is your truck in? Tires? Brakes? Will you need a tonneau cover to protect your stuff?

Let's see your pics.
I am located outside of Philadelphia not far from the Poconos with lots of trails. I will only be doing greens as this is also my daily car. Driving about 1-2 hours to go off roading. Day trips to start but my friend goes up to New Hampshire for a weekend trip he loves. Camping will come into play eventually. Truck in great shape only 77k miles. frame still a mat black with no rust. Already has off road tires almost new. Everything else is stock on it.

toyotafan

Staff member
1000 Posts
That's a great looking truck. BLACK IS A GOOD CHOICE! Just hard to keep clean.

Just for kicks I'm adding pics from that site to this thread.

2013 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab SB V6 4WD
2013_toyota_tacoma-pic-4287406116928940920-1024x768.jpg
2013_toyota_tacoma-pic-320399533715773901-1024x768.jpg
2013_toyota_tacoma-pic-3573957576921163241-1024x768.jpg
2013_toyota_tacoma-pic-3242160602329041557-1024x768.jpg
2013_toyota_tacoma-pic-2692068486726803106-1024x768.jpg
2013_toyota_tacoma-pic-8064852076958554746-1024x768.jpg
2013_toyota_tacoma-pic-7361395914269385157-1024x768.jpg
2013_toyota_tacoma-pic-4861280319501848510-1024x768.jpg
2013_toyota_tacoma-pic-6794482399619241227-1024x768.jpg

toyotafan

Staff member
1000 Posts
So my first add-on is always steps (for the wife) ... you have those already.

Then I go for a bed cover. I went with a lightweight pull-tight cheap velcro Truxedo tonneau cover to keep my stuff protected from the elements. It's not real protection from a bad guy, but I'd hope that if someone saw a dude taking a knife to it in a parking lot they would ask questions. There's tons of options for this from what I have all the way up to a hard cover locking bed cover ... to a camping shell / topper / cap.

Looks like you have enough clearance to increase your height with larger wheels and tires. Just a though, this is where things start to get more expensive. :)

toyotafan

Staff member
1000 Posts
Hard to tell from the pics, how much tread is on those tires? You can get into a tire place and they'll give you an actual reading of the tread depth. The tread overall looks fairly agressive, I can't see what type of Goodyear tires they are though.

downtown393

Hard to tell from the pics, how much tread is on those tires? You can get into a tire place and they'll give you an actual reading of the tread depth. The tread overall looks fairly agressive, I can't see what type of Goodyear tires they are though.
11 mm is what tires passed with on the tread.
I was hoping to get white, but the deal was too good to pass up. I was willing to go 2010 with higher miles (130-150k) but they were still around 16k to buy. My wife said to go with this fore only a few more grand and only 77k miles... God I love her!
I am not going to be lifting it any time soon (As much for me as my wife as I need a hip replacement soon).

Should I be ok with the base model vs. the TRD Off Road?

toyotafan

Staff member
1000 Posts
Yeah. You're not going to have any issues with the truck in terms of base model performance on simple offroad trails.

If you have 11mm of tread then you're fine, those are basically new tires then.

Nice love the story. I agree about the lift, you'll just have to pay attention to that as you traverse things like rocks and trees, if you do

Last edited:

downtown393

Yeah. You're not going to have any issues with the truck in terms of base model performance on simple offroad trails.

If you have 11mm of tread then you're fine, those are basically new tires then.

Nice love the story. I agree about the lift, you'll just have to pay attention to that as you traverse things like rocks and trees, if you do
Thank you for the input. I was afraid not having the TRD Off Road package was going to hurt somehow.

So my next two purchases will be, rear cover and skid plates.

toyotafan

Staff member
1000 Posts
Thank you for the input. I was afraid not having the TRD Off Road package was going to hurt somehow.

So my next two purchases will be, rear cover and skid plates.
You said old man, you having the work done or doing it yourself?

toyotafan

Staff member
1000 Posts
I just bought a 2013 crew cab base model (A big thank you to my wife!). If I am going to do basic off roading (No rock climbing), other than tires, what do I need to look at adding to my new love?
How's your truck holding up?

ChiefTRDSport

MuddyTacoma

Mechanic
1000 Posts
That's a great looking truck. BLACK IS A GOOD CHOICE! Just hard to keep clean.

Just for kicks I'm adding pics from that site to this thread.

2013 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab SB V6 4WD
View attachment 8836View attachment 8837View attachment 8838View attachment 8839View attachment 8840View attachment 8841View attachment 8842View attachment 8843View attachment 8844
Yeah, great looking truck. Let us know how the offroading goes and how the trails treat your truck. lol

downtown393

Just went offroad this weekend for the first time. The truck did great as it was 16 of us. 14 jeeps wranglers, me, and a freaking Mercedes G-wagon lol!?! Mine did great except I guess I do not have atrac-control or it does not kick in in 4-lo? So there was one hill they asked us to enter at an angle so it force your vehicle to slip then use other tires, mine did not do it.

toyotafan

Staff member
1000 Posts
Just went offroad this weekend for the first time. The truck did great as it was 16 of us. 14 jeeps wranglers, me, and a freaking Mercedes G-wagon lol!?! Mine did great except I guess I do not have atrac-control or it does not kick in in 4-lo? So there was one hill they asked us to enter at an angle so it force your vehicle to slip then use other tires, mine did not do it.
Nice

Related Content You Might Like: