• FREE SPEECH SOCIAL MEDIA

If you're looking for a Free Speech Social Media site, check out Blabbook.com

- NO FACT CHECKING - NO SHADOW BANNING - NO POINT OF VIEW CENSORSHIP

New Tacoma owner looking for advice for off roading... old man off roading lol!

downtown393

Can you guys help me understand why the Tacoma did not have Atrac control when in 4-lo? Hit a hill at a 45 degree angles causing the
front left and back right tires to come off the ground. It did not seem to shift power to the wheels that were gripping.

rickc5

Our back yard
Staff member
100 Posts
Community Leader
IIRC, A-Trac was only available on higher trim levels of the Tacoma, 4Runner and FJ Cruiser. Check your owner's manual to see what it says. Or do some searching online.

Do you have a light on the instrument panel that comes on when you turn the key to "on"?? Or, is there a switch for A-Trac? I'm racking my brain to remember how/when A-Trac was enabled on our 2014 4Runner, but I don't recall.

Last edited:

downtown393

So can I add Atrac control to my Tacoma? I hit the hill at a 45 degree angle lifting the front left and right rear tires and they spun and it did not seem to kick over to the other tires while in 4-Lo.

toyotafan

Toyota Truck Club Founder
Staff member
1000 Posts
So can I add Atrac control to my Tacoma? I hit the hill at a 45 degree angle lifting the front left and right rear tires and they spun and it did not seem to kick over to the other tires while in 4-Lo.
I'm not sure. That may be a mechanical and ecm addon

toyotafan

Staff member
1000 Posts
I'll try to figure it out. Many times it's a middle module update only. Sometimes it's also a switch, sometimes you have to flash it sometimes it's also mechanical addons.

downtown393

Thanks! I saw the value of it for off roading. If it is an add on and not too crazy I will do it. Otherwise I will get bye without it. As I stated it handled great. Only negative was no atrac and the length of the overhang in the rear I scrapped a few times coming off hills.

toyotafan

Staff member
1000 Posts
Thanks! I saw the value of it for off roading. If it is an add on and not too crazy I will do it. Otherwise I will get bye without it. As I stated it handled great. Only negative was no atrac and the length of the overhang in the rear I scrapped a few times coming off hills.
This video is very interesting. I know you're not looking at a FJ cruiser, but I'll bet this works with just the switch addon.

I just bought a 2013 crew cab base model (A big thank you to my wife!). If I am going to do basic off roading (No rock climbing), other than tires, what do I need to look at adding to my new love?
a small suspension lift and trail rated shocks all stainless exhaust 10,000 lb winch and you will be on top of the world

Related Content You Might Like: