• FREE SPEECH SOCIAL MEDIA

If you're looking for a Free Speech Social Media site, check out Blabbook.com

- NO FACT CHECKING - NO SHADOW BANNING - NO POINT OF VIEW CENSORSHIP

Lost in the Sauce...22R

coffee_brake

TTC Chicks
looks like a good resource. I'm not completely in the dark but I have to translate my experience with motorcycles onto automobiles, so only one master cylinder running four calipers, and the whole vacuum assist thing, are new to me.
I'll look for a chiltons, this Haynes is pretty pitiful considering how many questions I'm still asking.

jazz

Mechanic
100 Posts
Factory repair manuals are hard to find and when they do come up on ebay usually over $100. I have a '85 nissan factory manual,,they are very indepth. A high school text book and a 1969 Motors manual was all i needed for many years,,they could be referenced for most any make...

coffee_brake

TTC Chicks
I got the rear shocks on today, they made quite a difference. One was in bad shape, the other was completely collapsed. I put back in some kind of air shocks the parts store guy said were good. I'm worried about the flimsy plastic air lines, but it would be nice to be able to carry a load with more rigid suspension and then let it be softer for around town.

Can anyone tell me what that cable that runs to each rear wheels is supposed to feel like? I can't budge mine with all my strength.

I was able to bleed brake fluid out of the right wheel but could not get any fluid from the left. I think I might be getting closer to finding my braking problems.

jazz

Mechanic
100 Posts
The cable should have a inch of slack ( similar to checking the slack on the chain on your motorcycle) with the e-brake released. Likely seized from lack of use. There a rubber boot at back of rear brake drum? If so the lever at back of brake plate is seized and you will have to spray it with penetrating oil and work it back and forth lots to free it up...they are a PIA,,,but once freed up keep it lubed. You can push the boot back to expose where the lever pivots.. You have to get fluid from the left rear brake cylinder....did the bleeder screw open? if not open the line where it goes into brake cylinder....

Last edited:

coffee_brake

TTC Chicks
I had the E-brake on, no wonder I couldn't budge the cable. I just didn't know how it worked, or that the cable was part of the e-brake system. I use the E-brake all the time, it has held the truck on a steep hill with a load in it. The tires were sliding down the hill, but the e-brake was holding the wheels. It works great, unlike the rest of the brakes.

I don't remember if there was a boot behind the drums. The left bleeder screw did open, and I turned it way out with my husband pumping the brake pedal, but no fluid came out at all. Nothing. Hubby said he didn't feel any difference at the pedal no matter how far I turned out the bleeder screw.

The right side seemed to bleed just fine.

coffee_brake

TTC Chicks
If I haven't said it clearly enough, thank you all for the help. I know it takes time to think and type out all this stuff and I appreciate it. And it's really helping a lot.

jazz

Mechanic
100 Posts
follow the brake line from right rear brake drum for about 3'. ... does it lead to a valve on the underside of box or frame with a bleeder screw on it...I am not sure if your vintage has this but if it does it may need bled. I had a problem similar with my 4runner ,,,i believe the solution was bleeding that valve

coffee_brake

TTC Chicks
There is no bleeder valve between the two rear wheels. They are connected with a hard line with a "T" and that goes up to the front M/C.

Here are photos of what I found. I have a parts diagram but I don't know the condition of what I'm looking at.

http://s195.photobucket.com/user/coffee_brake/media/CIMG4316_zps6763c252.jpg.html

http://s195.photobucket.com/user/coffee_brake/media/CIMG4315_zpsf6709eda.jpg.html

http://s195.photobucket.com/user/coffee_brake/media/CIMG4314_zpsa36d48ed.jpg.html

http://s195.photobucket.com/user/coffee_brake/media/CIMG4313_zps7be12565.jpg.html

coffee_brake

TTC Chicks
I think I've got it for now at least.

I took the non-bleeding shoes off and just cleaned everything up and put it all back together. Everything finally bled out right and the brakes, while still not stellar, are much better and the pedal doesn't plunge to the floor like it did.

The e-brake is also grabbing a lot sooner in its travel too.

jazz

Mechanic
100 Posts
The manual should recommend number of clicks your brake lever in cab should travel to set brake ..I think on my truck its around 11 to 15 clicks.. The e-brake grabbing sooner because you adjusted your rear brake shoes? You could bleed all four wheels once more,,you are getting so good at it. Then you will be satisfied there is no air in the brake system.

coffee_brake

TTC Chicks
I bled everything till there was no more air in the system. I don't remember anything about adjusting clicks on the brake lever. You mean the e-brake?

jazz

Mechanic
100 Posts
Yes,, the lever makes a click as you are pulling it. If you are pulling the lever all the way out there is too much slack..you can test your e-brake(parking brake) to see how strong it is holding,,,just set it on a grade and see if truck rolls away.

coffee_brake

TTC Chicks
It's a lot worse than I thought. An old wrench showed me that the truck is actually a 5-speed, that won't stay in 5th gear. Just great....

tbplus10

Staff member
1000 Posts
Community Leader
Before ya throw in the towel on this trans check a few things out.
These trans were known to have some issues like this.
If ya take the shift boot off the center hump first check to see that the rubber inner liner hasnt dried out and isnt causing the problem.
Then you should be able to see the top of the shifter where it fits in the trans, if you remove the shifter it self from the trans youll find a metal fork with a teflon piece, make sure the teflon piece isntworn or damaged.
I doubt the synchros, shift fork, or gear are damaged, it almost never happens on these teans.

jazz

Mechanic
100 Posts
what tbplus10 says, this issue has come up on other threads here,,,my sons 89 truck jumps out of 3rd,,,his fix is don't waste much time in 3rd

jazz

Mechanic
100 Posts
and while you are at it have you changed the oil in transmission and differential? I do this with every vehicle I have ever owned as trucks generally bury the rear diff in water unloading/loading boats so water can get in there. The other reason is many vehicles never have the oil checked/changed in transmission or differential until they start making expensive sounds. I will come up with other maintenance chores for your Toyota but just one at a time....

Related Content You Might Like: