• FREE SPEECH SOCIAL MEDIA

If you're looking for a Free Speech Social Media site, check out Blabbook.com

- NO FACT CHECKING - NO SHADOW BANNING - NO POINT OF VIEW CENSORSHIP

How many miles before you change your oil? All Toyota Trucks

toyotafan

Toyota Truck Club Founder
Staff member
1000 Posts
I'm usually about 5,000 miles before I change my oil on regular oil these days. When I run synthetics, I'm pushing 7,500 or maybe a bit more.

What is everyone else doing?

dirtydeeds

Gold Vendor
100 Posts
During desert season I try to change the oil every other trip or so. In summer when it's hot and can't go to dez I just change it every 3k. I know this is way overboard with Mobil1 synthetic but oil is cheaper than metal!

jackson1

I am usually about 4000 or 6000 miles,So i can't try to change the oil. But in season, i try to change the oil every trip with 3000 or 4000 miles.

86yod

i do a lot of stop and go driving and my truck has 225000 miles so i try to change mine about ever 3000 miles

I go about 5000 between oil changes. It all depends on what kind of driving you do... GM has the Oil Life System now that detects the life left in your oil so that you know exactly when you have to change your oil, most people can go way over the usual 3000 miles... it's pretty freaking cool in my book!

that's a good choice! when you do a lot of stop and go, you should change your oil more often than someone who does more highway driving

CampTundra

I have been using Amsoil synthetic in my vehicles for 20 years. They recommend 1 year or 20,000 km between changes. Since we have harsh winters here in Winnipeg, I always change mine in the fall every year. I also average a low 12,000 km per year so that is my interval and I have never had any problems. I also run synthetics in the diffs and tranny.

Toyota Girl

100 Posts
I have been using Amsoil synthetic in my vehicles for 20 years. They recommend 1 year or 20,000 km between changes. Since we have harsh winters here in Winnipeg, I always change mine in the fall every year. I also average a low 12,000 km per year so that is my interval and I have never had any problems. I also run synthetics in the diffs and tranny.
What's the conversion from KM to Miles?

CampTundra

Yes it is a Synthetic oil. I believe Amsoil was one of the first to manufacture synthetics. One step that I forgot to mention is that I change my filter twice per year. Once in the fall and again in the spring. This extends the life of the oil. Also, when using a synthetic oil, it is best to use a filter that is designed for it. Of course that is not too much of an issue with the Toyota style oil filter.

millionaireman

I change the oil of my pick up every 3000 miles. When draining the engine oil I usually use a STP engine flushing formula so that all oil sludge are liquefied and drained out of my engine. I use the regular oil of Castrol and an STP oil treatment additive just to make sure everything inside the engine is running smoothly. I also replace my oil filters.

Blueberries

n summer when it's hot and can't go to dez I just change it every 3k. I know this is way overboard with Mobil1 synthetic but oil is cheaper than metal!

toyotafan

Toyota Truck Club Founder
Staff member
1000 Posts
Like I said, read the manual. Most of the manufacturers these day say 5000 miles, but most service techs will tell you 7500 miles is ok without damage just as long as you use a good oil when you do the change and a good filter.

SurferBoy

Wow, the toyota dealer I got my new truck from told me 3000 miles for oil changes. probably just wanted to sell me them more often. glad to know that you guys are running about 5000-7500+ miles in between. i think mine needs one anyway, dealer said they didn't do one

tbplus10

Staff member
1000 Posts
Community Leader
My 99 Tacoma has always gotten oil changes faithfully at every 3500 miles, I know the Toyota owners manual states I can go as far as 7k between oil changes but soon after I bought my truck I supercharged it and it's seen hard off-road use at least once between every oil change.

MD_Weems

100 Posts
We usually go around 5K, usually try to right before that point. Although I have forgotten and gone 6K before I got one. Gotta love Wal-Mart, it takes me forever to get out of there anyway, so I just get one as I'm grocery shopping.

1st-Synthetics

Ok, I just went to google and searched for "KM to Miles conversion" and I came to a site that gave me 12,427 miles for 20,000 km.

http://www.onlineconversion.com/length_common.htm

That's pretty good miles, is that for a synthetic oil?
Every oil has it's own specific drain interval. Amsoil has the highest on the market that i am aware of. It's 100% synthetic signature series oils are 25,000 miles or once a year. It has been like that since 1972 when it came out with the first synthetic oil available to consumers. Amsoil is I I use in everything I own.

Related Content You Might Like: