• FREE SPEECH SOCIAL MEDIA

If you're looking for a Free Speech Social Media site, check out Blabbook.com

- NO FACT CHECKING - NO SHADOW BANNING - NO POINT OF VIEW CENSORSHIP

Toyota T100 Build Thread

kennythewelder

Super Moderator
Staff member
100 Posts
I really like what you have done with the truck. My brother had a T100, but he is no mechanic, hell he is not much of a car or truck guy. Me on the other hand, I am all about a nice car or truck that has been fixed up. If you click on my avatar, you can see what I mean. The 97 Chevy extended cab is my daily driver. The 4 Runner is my wife's. It's the little thing that make all the difference. I also like to see what someone else had done to there rides. I get a lot of ideas like that.

Lon Ross

I really like what you have done with the truck. My brother had a T100, but he is no mechanic, hell he is not much of a car or truck guy. Me on the other hand, I am all about a nice car or truck that has been fixed up. If you click on my avatar, you can see what I mean. The 97 Chevy extended cab is my daily driver. The 4 Runner is my wife's. It's the little thing that make all the difference. I also like to see what someone else had done to there rides. I get a lot of ideas like that.
Nice stuff! All your stuff looks great, clean. What bike is that? I had a few Yamaha XS11 Special's and a V Max, fast in their day. I used to own a restoration shop when I was young so I had a small personal
Ebay heli 025.jpg
collection. 67 Z28, 66 GTO tri-power, 67 GTO 400, 70 Torino GT convertible, 69 Camaro, 70 Chevelle SS 396, BMW "M" roadster (believe it or not, that strait 6 was one of the fastest cars I owned, 0 to 60 in 4.5 sec.) Here is a pic of a couple of them.

kennythewelder

Super Moderator
Staff member
100 Posts
Thanks for the comp.,The bike was a 69 Triumph Tiger 500. I Love the GTO and the first gen Camaro's are my favorite Camaro's . I had a 70 Torino GT convertable also. Mine had a 302, that I put some 351 Winsor heads on it. The Challenger was the fastest high 13s in the quarter mile. The Challenger had a 340, Wynn high rise with a Holly 650 and a 282 cam. My 97 Chevy gets a lot of comps. It looks grate for a 20 year old truck. Its hard to beat those old 350s. I have done some performance mods, but haven't been inside of the engine at all. When I got it , it was a 16.5 second truck. It now runs 15 flat.I keep saying one day I will go into the engine, but it just runs to good to fool with for now. Sense it is my driver, I don't want to make it unstreetable where I don't drive it everyday. Maybe some 202 heads, and a 292 cam, but IDK. I also thought about a 383 stroker. I will just have to cross that bridge when I get to it.

kennythewelder

Super Moderator
Staff member
100 Posts
39.jpg
49.jpg
8.jpg
9.jpg
42.jpg
39.jpg
8.jpg
9.jpg
42.jpg
39.jpg
My Torino was a little ruff. I didn't have much money in those days. I was still in high school. I worked as a mechanic at a Linclon Mercury - Suburu draler for 1/2 a day when I was in my senior year. I bought the welding mech from a co worker for $500, after I redid it, I sold it for $2000 about 2 years later.

Lon Ross

Thanks for the comp.,The bike was a 69 Triumph Tiger 500. I Love the GTO and the first gen Camaro's are my favorite Camaro's . I had a 70 Torino GT convertable also. Mine had a 302, that I put some 351 Winsor heads on it. The Challenger was the fastest high 13s in the quarter mile. The Challenger had a 340, Wynn high rise with a Holly 650 and a 282 cam. My 97 Chevy gets a lot of comps. It looks grate for a 20 year old truck. Its hard to beat those old 350s. I have done some performance mods, but haven't been inside of the engine at all. When I got it , it was a 16.5 second truck. It now runs 15 flat.I keep saying one day I will go into the engine, but it just runs to good to fool with for now. Sense it is my driver, I don't want to make it unstreetable where I don't drive it everyday. Maybe some 202 heads, and a 292 cam, but IDK. I also thought about a 383 stroker. I will just have to cross that bridge when I get to it.
We must be truly kindred spirits. I get everything you are saying, I had the 202's on my Camaro, my Torino had a 351 Cleveland with 10 bolt top loader 4 speed. Good motor, but it was geared for highway speed, so no big QTM times. My 66 GTO had TRW 12 to 1's balanced and blueprinted, Isky roller cam, 1200 CFM Tri-power, 670 heads, ported and polished by me. 456 posi, Borg Warner T10. It turned low 11's QTM, but then again, they turned in the high 12's from the factory in stock form and on crap tires of the time LOL. The only car in town that gave me a good run was a MOPAR 440 six pack. Also, that was a typo on my Z, it was a 68, not 67. Cool to hear there are still guys who get it. Not a coffee can muffler on a four banger Honda with two 10" sub wolfers that can spin the 14" front tires in the school parking lot LOL

Lon Ross

I have to say.....you did a great job on the engine. Can't wait to see what you do next!
Thanks! I know it is a low dollar Tonka, but I like it. For some reason, I like it a lot more then I thought I would when I went looking for a old beater, guess it just grew on me. Your truck looks great, I am old, grumpy and my big money days are behind me, but I still thank God I am breathing, and I can still have some fun with a few bucks and an old truck:)

Lon Ross

OLD 086.JPG
I don't mean to go off topic, have been scolded for that on the BMW site before, but the way I see it, the more we all post, the more interesting and active the site. And, well, we don't make anyone read our post if they are not interested in what we are talking about at the time. Cars, trucks, bikes, anything with wheels, must guys love them all. Here is one of my favorites from my past. Just loved the lines, it was fun to drive too, just not a fire breathing monster, but classy IMO, I miss her

kennythewelder

Super Moderator
Staff member
100 Posts
LOL your not on a BMW sight. Nice Jag.I am on 2 Chevy truck forums also. Good people there too. The forum responses here do tend to run slow from time to time, so activity here is a good thing, Like you said, if someone doesn't want to read our post, they don't have to. I came over here from GMTruck club. com. tbplus10 invited me over from there when he say that I also have a 4 Runner. The owner here (Steve) used to own GMTruck club, but sold it. Steve remembered have contact with me from the truck club. When Steve ask if I would be a moderator here, I said sure. I am on every day most of the time anyway.

Lon Ross

LOL your not on a BMW sight. Nice Jag.I am on 2 Chevy truck forums also. Good people there too. The forum responses here do tend to run slow from time to time, so activity here is a good thing, Like you said, if someone doesn't want to read our post, they don't have to. I came over here from GMTruck club. com. tbplus10 invited me over from there when he say that I also have a 4 Runner. The owner here (Steve) used to own GMTruck club, but sold it. Steve remembered have contact with me from the truck club. When Steve ask if I would be a moderator here, I said sure. I am on every day most of the time anyway.
Thanks Kenny! As you can see from my past cars and trucks, I am a GM fan also. I see your in Louisiana, I was a account manager for Mitchell Int. collision estimating software. I was assigned Louisiana, along with east Texas and Oklahoma right after Katrina hit. I guess you were there and know the horior it caused. I spent lots of time helping our customers come back from it and what I saw, well TV didn't show the half of it. I loved the people of Louisiana, salt of the earth kind of fokes IMO.
It is nice to find a site with the same kind of fokes, but that makes sense for a bunch of guys who love trucks, they were made for salt of the earth kind of people.
Here is one more of my favorite
M7.jpg
cars from my past, then back on topic with some more pictures of my T100 build. Hard to believe my little "M" Roadster was a strait 6 and would eat up most everything on the road. One of the reasons I respect what Toyota did with their 4cyl trucks back then. My T100 4 banger puts out the same HP as the extra cost V6 they offered in 96, and more torque in the lower RPM's

kennythewelder

Super Moderator
Staff member
100 Posts
Nice Beamer. I was lucky for Katrina, and Rita just after. I am a life long resident of Louisiana. all 58 years. I'm in Lafayette. I was never big into imports, but after seeing my brother drive Toyota's for years and not having to touch them, I kind of learned from him. I have had a few Toyota's, a Nissan PU. but have always been a GM guy at hart. I have had Fords, and Dodges also, but just keep coming back to GM. They are easy to work on, or the older ones are anyway.

kennythewelder

Super Moderator
Staff member
100 Posts
I bought my 97 Silverado in 2004. My wife drove it until 2009. When I started driving it, the first thing I wanted to do was run dual exhaust with headers. I bought a set of shortys from Summit, and got a set of old school 24 inch long glass packs. After the install, I wanted to get rid of the cats. with out having someone tune the ECM sense I have a programmer. I gutted the cats and did spark plug spacer trick that I found on line. No go. That worked for about 10 miles. I knew that what was missing was something between the exhaust and the rear 02 sensor. So thinking about it, I thought what would be better that the honey come material that came out of the cats. So I took some of it, and ground it to fit into the bottom spark plug spacer. They have been on my truck for about 2 years, and work grate. No CEL at all. And no the pic is not my truck, just a sample pic.
TXS004b_o2 spacer.jpg

Lon Ross

View attachment 5614 View attachment 5615 View attachment 5611 View attachment 5612 View attachment 5613 View attachment 5614 View attachment 5611 View attachment 5612 View attachment 5613 View attachment 5614 My Torino was a little ruff. I didn't have much money in those days. I was still in high school. I worked as a mechanic at a Linclon Mercury - Suburu draler for 1/2 a day when I was in my senior year. I bought the welding mech from a co worker for $500, after I redid it, I sold it for $2000 about 2 years later.
Love the Craiger rims, had the same on mine. Air shocks and MT tires. These GT convertible's are rare today and worth big bucks, just my luck, I sold all my classics before they were classics, LOL

kennythewelder

Super Moderator
Staff member
100 Posts
Love the Craiger rims, had the same on mine. Air shocks and MT tires. These GT convertible's are rare today and worth big bucks, just my luck, I sold all my classics before they were classics, LOL
Yea same here. I sold all mine before they were worth anything. My second car was a 72 Nova with a 350. It developed a rod knock. I traded it for the bike.

tbplus10

Staff member
1000 Posts
Community Leader
Good looking T-100 Lon. T-100's never had a wide popularity, as a result you don't see many as nice as yours.
Glad to see this post acknowledges a gearhead can have other manufactured vehicles in their stable.
I buy, trade, collect, and build lots of different vehicles, bikes, boats, cars, trucks, or comercial heavy equipment/farm equipment.
My purpose is to finance the purchase and restoration/build of those I want to keep. I'll buy any brand foreign or domestic, as long as it interests me. At this point probably my most prized toy is a 1939 Chris Craft 23' Resorter convertible wood hulled speed boat my son in law and I have restored over the last 6 years.
From replanking the hull to rebuilding the Packard straight 8 engine and on to interior we've done all the work by ourselves in my garage. We found her in a farmer's field 65 miles from the nearest lake sitting on the ground and half rotted but with all her parts there. After a few final touches she'll see her first time on the water in the next few weeks, far as I can tell other than rain she hasn't felt water since 1966.
Having an appreciation for diverse vehicles and styles of vehicles is what the hobby is about, I'll probably never own a Honda civic with a coffee can exhaust, but I can appreciate that in the owners eyes its his expression of art.

Lon Ross

My comment was more about a change in what is considered "Cool" today. I had a Toyota Corolla and I loved it, fun little car and cheap to run. I bought it new, I never considered it to be "Cool", but I am not offended if others do. Being an old timer, bringing your front tires off the ground at launch was "Cool" back in my day, and it was nice to have a Craig 8 track and a set of 6x9 Tenna "Mind Blower" speakers blasting "walk this way" while doing it LOL

kennythewelder

Super Moderator
Staff member
100 Posts
LOL I had a set of mind blowers in my Torino. I had a set of long wires feeding them so I could put them where the top went. If the top was up, I would set them on the top when the top was down. And yea I had an 8 track of Toys in the attic.

Lon Ross

LOL I had a set of mind blowers in my Torino. I had a set of long wires feeding them so I could put them where the top went. If the top was up, I would set them on the top when the top was down. And yea I had an 8 track of Toys in the attic.
Yes, that is what I am talking about, it is just a different time, not saying anything bad about those of this time, I am sure they will talk some day about blowing the CV joints in the front end doing burn outs, like we do about hunting in the weeds for our driveshaft after it went flying out. And they will bitch about the 4 thousand dollar's their sound system cost they put in a two thousand dollar car, while we remember saving up to buy a sixty dollar set of mind blowers for our 4 hundred car (That is what I paid for my 1st GTO, the 66). I guess some day we will see the Burritt Jackson guy saying " Here the Honda is don right, spoon engine, Kerker oversized coffee can and 10" wide front tires and a 10 thousand sound system to top it off, start the bidding at 500 thousand" Ya never know?

Related Content You Might Like: