• FREE SPEECH SOCIAL MEDIA

If you're looking for a Free Speech Social Media site, check out Blabbook.com

- NO FACT CHECKING - NO SHADOW BANNING - NO POINT OF VIEW CENSORSHIP

Why? ~ 1991 Toyota DLX Tailgate Letters

gene

Doesn't my 1991 extended cab DLX have a "TOYOTA" decal on the tailgate like the rest of them?

Anyone seen a source for one?

kennythewelder

Super Moderator
Staff member
100 Posts
It may have been removed. The tail gate may have been repainted, could be several things. I see them on e-bay.
:

gene

Hi Kenny,

My Dad bought the truck brand new, the tailgate is original and not repainted, and it never had TOYOTA on it. Strange, huh?

Thanks for the links, I just ordered one.

Just my thought, I prefer the TOYOTA on the grill than the later graphic, it looks like a stylized steer head to me.

It may have been removed. The tail gate may have been repainted, could be several things. I see them on e-bay.
:

Last edited:

kennythewelder

Super Moderator
Staff member
100 Posts
Hi Kenny,

My Dad bought the truck brand new, the tailgate is original and not repainted, and it never had TOYOTA on it. Strange, huh?

Just my thought, I prefer the TOYOTA on the grill than the later graphic, it looks like a stylized steer head to me.
Way back when, in 1977 or 78, I was a mechanic at a Lincoln Mercury dealer 1/2 day while I was in high school. I got HS creates for working, and they trained me at the dealer. I have seen some very strange things come through the dealership. We once had a new Mercury Cougar come through the dealer with the cougar front end, and a LTD-2 rear end. Mistakes happen. I never saw another one like that again. It could have been an overlook from the plant where your truck was made. Pics of the cougar, and LTD-2
1977-mercury-cougar-xr7.jpg
Ford_LTD_II_1979_30-1024x768.jpg
77ltdrear.jpg

toyotafan

Toyota Truck Club Founder
Staff member
1000 Posts
Way back when, in 1977 or 78, I was a mechanic at a Lincoln Mercury dealer 1/2 day while I was in high school. I got HS creates for working, and they trained me at the dealer. I have seen some very strange things come through the dealership. We once had a new Mercury Cougar come through the dealer with the cougar front end, and a LTD-2 rear end. Mistakes happen. I never saw another one like that again. It could have been an overlook from the plant where your truck was made. Pics of the cougar, and LTD-2View attachment 9203View attachment 9204View attachment 9205
You mean the body or suspension rear end components?

toyotafan

Toyota Truck Club Founder
Staff member
1000 Posts
Hi Kenny,

Which one did you order?

kennythewelder

Super Moderator
Staff member
100 Posts
You mean the body or suspension rear end components?
The LTD-2, and Cougar were the same cars, just had different front clip, trunk, and tail lights. Kind of like the Chevy Silverado, and GMC Sierra. Same trucks, just different front clip, and tail gate. But to see the Cougar front clip, and a LTD-2 trunk, and tail lights, just looked funny. Makes me wonder if that car still exist some where, and what it would be worth, as a 1 of a kind, factory mess up.

Last edited:

Related Content You Might Like: