• FREE SPEECH SOCIAL MEDIA

If you're looking for a Free Speech Social Media site, check out Blabbook.com

- NO FACT CHECKING - NO SHADOW BANNING - NO POINT OF VIEW CENSORSHIP

Which brand of oil filter do you use for your Toyota truck?

GearHead

100 Posts
Just curious what brand of oil filter they use. Does anyone know the difference between the "high-mileage" filters and the regular ones? Also, what about the "high-performance" ones? Advantages? Disadvantages? Post away. Let's talk about oil filters.

tbplus10

Staff member
1000 Posts
Community Leader
For about a 140K miles I've been using Fram filters on my Tacoma. An Auto Zone near me sells me the filters by the case and lets me mix and match them so I get a better price, when your buying for 7 or 8 cars you need to get as much of a deal as you can.

tbplus10

Staff member
1000 Posts
Community Leader
For case deals on OEM oil filters try trdpartsforu good people and great service, they offer specials on case lots all the time.
If it isnt on special tell them you heard about the special on the web and they'll usually give you the special price, they hate to lose a sale over a few dollars.

toyotafan

Toyota Truck Club Founder
Staff member
1000 Posts
I just tell them to give me OEM or as close to it as possible. Will have to look up the trdpartsforu for sure.

Techy855

Surprised to hear OEM. I usually stear clear of most OEM parts, as there is usually something better. I will second the K&N recommendation. They have always been good for me.

altavas

I prefer the regular ones too. But if high mileage oils become cheaper, then i might opt to use it instead.

john505

Im also a guy who likes the OEM stuff, but For the past 20 years, I have always used fram filters, and never had any issues with them. I've tried mobil 1, purolater filters to. but theses days with prices so high for everything, i do tend to buy what ever filter is on sale.

Stuart

I prefer to use Wix/Napa Gold filters. However, any quality filter will do. The stock ones are not all that.

Loves2Ride

100 Posts
Regulars work fine with me too. I tried the high-mileage once. I don't feel any difference at all.

Did you vehicle have "high miles" on it though? I notice a difference with mine when I use high-mileage oil filters. I usually buy whatever high mileage filters are on sale too.

Deererainman

Wix 51516 I think??? It's about twice the length of the standard filter. I figure it has more filter media surface area. By looking at toytasrule's sig pic. I'd have to say bigger is better. :D

supernovax3

100 Posts
Like others in this thread, I've always used Fram on all my vehicles. I've never encountered any related issues because of it, and they're fairly cheap at Auto Zone. I just pick up a filter and oil and change my oil in the driveway.

Glenn

I used to use the cheap Fram, but after cutting open several different brands of filters, I've changed my mind. Wix is good, K&N, and Mobil 1 are very good. If you go for extended miles between changes using synthetic oil like I do, I recommend K&N or Mobil 1. If you change every 3k or less, I suppose the cheap Fram is ok, although I don't use them anymore. These days Fram makes various quality levels of filters, and I have not looked into their higher priced line, which I suppose would be better. You often get what you pay for. By the way, being an old timer, I remember back in the day when Fram was a quality filter. Then they got bought out and Walmart was selling them for $2.50....

suncomb1

I run a System 1 oil filter which is the type you take apart and clean. If I was going to use a cartridge type filter I would use a K&N Oil Filter. Many of the guys that I go street rodding with run K&N on their rods and use synthetic oil. If I would be using regular oil, I would change the filter and oil every 3,000 miles. From what I hear, the high mileage filters are not any better and their internal by-pass valves open (by-pass) alot quicker.

Related Content You Might Like: