• FREE SPEECH SOCIAL MEDIA

If you're looking for a Free Speech Social Media site, check out Blabbook.com

- NO FACT CHECKING - NO SHADOW BANNING - NO POINT OF VIEW CENSORSHIP

What to do with '83 22R shortbed clunker, 22R, 4-speed.

fud2468

Hi,
I'm new here. I just inherited this truck from a relative who died. It has not been licensed for 6 years. The owner stopped driving it when it started to have a carb problem, it ran too rich when cold but was OK when warmed up. It also had an oil leak from the front of the engine, but the owner ran it that way for at least 10 years.
It needs paint, grill and front bumper, body is straight.
Last week I had a short time to play with it, but it fired right up when I put gas in the carb. It wouldn't keep running, gage shows there's gas in it but it would be bad by now.. Yeah I should have cleaned out the tank and lines before trying to start it, I hope I didn't do damage to it, didn't have the time to do that.
It's in a remote area of the Sierra foothills, 30 miles from the nearest wrecker. If it was in town i would get $200 for it, probably would not get that much where it's located now.
It needs work but has some sentimental value because of being in the family.
I could keep it intact and try to fix it up, or pull the engine and tranny to sell seperately.
What would you folks recommend?
Thanks,
Ray Mac

suncomb1

Post some photos of it. Is it an SR5 or Deluxe model? Is it 2wd or 4x4? I can't help you without seeing what the truck looks like.

fud2468

'83 pickup

Post some photos of it. Is it an SR5 or Deluxe model? Is it 2wd or 4x4? I can't help you without seeing what the truck looks like.
Sorry, no pics possible at this time, the truck is 120 miles away and a 3-hour trip to where it's located. I'm not sure how soon I'll be up there again.
It is not an SR5, and it is a 4-speed. It's a bare-bones model, short bed. I would for sure keep it if it was an SR5.
Body is straight, but needs paint, front bumper and grille, that's the best I can describe it.
Another possibility is to pull the engine, rebuild it and use it in an '83 or earlier truck that needs an engine. I want to get something out of it, I hate to see it go cheap and get crushed.
Ray Mac

tbplus10

Staff member
1000 Posts
Community Leader
Got a teen in the family that will be getting their D/L soon? Sounds like the perfect starter vehicle for a you boy!!
Not only would they get to learn how to repair it but they'd also get an inexpensive first vehicle that has family ties.

fud2468

Got a teen in the family that will be getting their D/L soon? Sounds like the perfect starter vehicle for a you boy!!
Not only would they get to learn how to repair it but they'd also get an inexpensive first vehicle that has family ties.
Thanks, good idea.
I forgot to mention it's 2-wheel drive.
Ray Mac

tbplus10

Staff member
1000 Posts
Community Leader
In 2003 for highschool graduation my oldest brother gave my youngest brother's son our grandfathers 1973 N20 Toyota Hilux truck that was passed around the family since grandpa died in 1987. After using it to learn to drive, do auto mechanics, and generally abusing it during college my nephew restored the truck last year and it now looks like it just rolled out of the factory, in fact it's so nice he wont even drive it anymore.

Tim

fud2468

In 2003 for highschool graduation my oldest brother gave my youngest brother's son our grandfathers 1973 N20 Toyota Hilux truck that was passed around the family since grandpa died in 1987. After using it to learn to drive, do auto mechanics, and generally abusing it during college my nephew restored the truck last year and it now looks like it just rolled out of the factory, in fact it's so nice he wont even drive it anymore.

Tim
Well I'm an old guy and it would be grandchildren in my case. However one is in KC MO, 2 in Portland OR and one in Vermont.
If they were here it would be a good project, they couldn't do much harm to it.
The other thing is that this one wouldn't be as valuable as a Hilux when restored.
Ray Mac

tbplus10

Staff member
1000 Posts
Community Leader
Well I'm an old guy and it would be grandchildren in my case. However one is in KC MO, 2 in Portland OR and one in Vermont.
If they were here it would be a good project, they couldn't do much harm to it.
The other thing is that this one wouldn't be as valuable as a Hilux when restored.
Ray Mac
Maybe not but it still has that sentimental value, and much like yourself I hate to see older vehicles get crushed when they still have possibilities.
What part of the Sierra Foothills? I graduated high school at Divide High just outside of George Town.

Related Content You Might Like: