• FREE SPEECH SOCIAL MEDIA

If you're looking for a Free Speech Social Media site, check out Blabbook.com

- NO FACT CHECKING - NO SHADOW BANNING - NO POINT OF VIEW CENSORSHIP

What Cam do I have vs WANT

So on my 84 22r rebuild I don't know what type cam I have...is there ANY way to figure it out, Ive been reading and it appears that the CompCam 252S is a good replacement over stock cam but I don't know if I even have a stock cam...how can I figure this out.... The odometer shows 184,000 mi but the bores have absolutely no carbon lip and internally no real indications of wear, includeing the bearings. which leads me to believe that the engine is newer than the miles would suggest, this made me toy with NOT even touching crankshaft (I wanna be lazy). however I will replace the crank bearings, since I'm this far into it.
ALSO anyone have any advice where to get good rebuild kits...I don't wanna put JUNK into this engine.

tbplus10

Staff member
1000 Posts
Community Leader
Dont let the lack of internal wear fool you into thinking the engine isnt original.
I've opened Toyota engines with over 250 k and found very little wear, when correctly maintained these engines can run a long time.
A Supercharged 3.4 I opened last summer that had 280k only required laying a cross hatch on the cylinders and new rings. The pistons were cleaned and reused. I wouldnt have opened it if the heads hadnt been cracked.
Probably the only real issue would be sludge build-up, which could be handled by a boil out.
If the cam isnt stamped on the shaft or ends the only other way to tell is by measuring it.
Most aftermarket cams will have markings.

I think I'm just gonna buy a new.. or reconditioned head to avoid the hassle of doing the rebuild myself. any one know a reputable dealer that will ship

I will also be takeing block to get it cleaned and painted before I do the build, should I cross hatch cyl before I do boil-out and paint or after?

tbplus10

Staff member
1000 Posts
Community Leader
Before boil and paint, that way any metalic dust or particles get cleaned out.

Related Content You Might Like: