• FREE SPEECH SOCIAL MEDIA

If you're looking for a Free Speech Social Media site, check out Blabbook.com

- NO FACT CHECKING - NO SHADOW BANNING - NO POINT OF VIEW CENSORSHIP

Weekend Projects 2014

toyotafan

Toyota Truck Club Founder
Staff member
1000 Posts
Ugh, I have written out something like 4 pages and a total of 100+ tasks to get done today ... ended up pulling a muscle in my upper back. So much for my list today.

tbplus10

Staff member
1000 Posts
Community Leader
Overacheiver, just writing a list that big would send me to the kitchen for a beer and some relaxation time.
Actually I have a list of my own but I believe I'll hire most of it out.

Perackfez

High-maintenance life you got there Toyotafan. I'd wish I could do it. I don't think writing a list would ever help me, just discourage me and lead me to be sad because it's so much work. Good luck this weekend even if it's coming to an end

toyotafan

Staff member
1000 Posts
It was probably a strained muscle in my upper back and it's back to normal today (just about) so hopefully I'll get all of this stuff done this weekend.

I'm just tired of nothing being done and I know that I'm tending to be lazier and lazier each and every year ... so I'm going to put an end to it and we're going to have one heavy chore day every month.

I did get this stuff done even with a bad back.
  • Replaced the burned out light bulbs in the microwave and fridge door
  • Cleaned out the H2O filter in the fridge for water and ice maker
  • Moved a bookcase from the living room (where it didn't fit) to our bedroom where it's going to serve as overflow for blankets, towels, etc.
  • Spackled all of the holes and dents in the drywall that I could find around the house
  • Applied wood putty & filler to an interior 6-panel door with a broken panel
  • Priced out french doors and materials to frame-in an opening to our very-small formal dining room.
    • This should be interesting. We need more space and never use the dining room, so we're thinking about turning it into an office.
    • That will include framing in the opening and installing french doors for the main opening ...
    • The I'm thinking of making a sliding barn door style of door between this space and the kitchen.
    • That will still allow it to be used as a dining room if we want ... or an office with french doors.
  • Serviced and cleaned the vacuum cleaner (the new Shark Navigator is NOT as good as the old one ... it clogs all the time)
  • Went to hardware store and got 1x4 pine boards.
    • Cut those boards into about 15 new slats for a twin bunk-bed that didn't have good slats to begin with.
    • Made a few slats for full-size bed, just to give it extra support.
Umm, that's about it. Maybe it's the fact that I lost my dad earlier this year and looking back on how he raised me, not to be lazy and always to be a hard worker ... I just decided that I want to work harder at being a hard worker. No more Mr. Lazy!

Perackfez

Sorry for your loss, but your father is probably very happy that you're still working hard! I'm younger than most, and I feel lazy and unwilling to do what's needed. Should really knock that from my psyche. This may inspire me. :p

toyotafan

Staff member
1000 Posts
I put on a semi-transparent stain and that was my mistake. There was a solid color stain option that was a little bit more money and it would have saved me time and stain and I had to go over the new and the old gate (the left is 12 years old, and the right is about 1 year old). If I would have stained it (and let's be honest, when it's a solid color that's not stain anymore, it's a lighter paint that looks like a stain color, lol).

Anyhow, I still have to put a new 1x4 "kickplate" on the left-side of this gate and I might put on some dummy hardware and really might even put on some new 2x3's on the back of this so it will last another 10 years. Either way, it looks SOOO much better than what was there before, that's for sure. Very well worth the $70 and 4 hours of time to get this done. My 6 year old even helped drive in some of the screws for the cap.

toyotafan

Staff member
1000 Posts
Wish there was a way to rotate photos that are uploaded from a mobile phone!

toyotafan

Staff member
1000 Posts
Now that the wood's had a full day to soak up the stain, it looks a lot more uniform. It will take some touch up though, that's for sure, I'll do it one of these weekends.

toyotafan

Staff member
1000 Posts
I had more plans but this horrible cold has me sidelined today. Seriously this stinks.

MuddyTacoma

Mechanic
1000 Posts
Added a three-piece cap to the gate today and applied stain.

View attachment 2631

View attachment 2632
In sure that stain is still wet and that it's matted down over the last couple of weeks. Overall if that was aged 'weathered' wood then it's not going to look the same but it will still look good. One trick is to apply a few new strips of wood (which it looks like you have done to the top) to both the newer and older panels so that stands as contrast against the rest of it.

Related Content You Might Like: