• FREE SPEECH SOCIAL MEDIA

If you're looking for a Free Speech Social Media site, check out Blabbook.com

- NO FACT CHECKING - NO SHADOW BANNING - NO POINT OF VIEW CENSORSHIP

Very noisy cam phazers

Sam

I have a 4.7 06 tundra that was Blown up bad. I completely rebuilt the engine , Bored out and .020 over pistons, New connecting rods , 2 completely re-manufactured cylinder heads and cams. But I reused the cam phazers from the blown up engine , It runs great but sounds exactly like a Diesel while Idling and when started for the first time in the morning if you do not hold the RPM'S up for about 20 seconds it will set 3 codes, po300,po304 and po307 but you never feel it missing and if you hold the RPM,s up it never sets the codes, also it will not set the codes again until it sets over night again, This Engine was Blown up bad ! 24 broken valves, 5 bent connecting rods, broken pistons. broken cylinder heads, it's a wonder the block could be saved. Any Help would be appreciated. I have about 6000 miles since the rebuild and it doesn't seem to be getting any worse but NOT

Sam

Yes to both, the block was hot tanked,bored .020 over, New oil pump ,cylinder spray tubes were cleaned, the only old parts reused were the cam phazers but I cleaned and inspected them, I did notice the dowel pin hole has a little mark where the cams were forced to stop but I didn't notice any play in the fit on the new cams. This Engine was very hurt ! 24 valves had the heads broken off, 5 bent connecting rods, several broken pistons and both cylinder heads were trash. It was a merakle the block was salvageable

69FJ-2.4LTRTDIESEL

100 Posts
My guess would be that when the motor blew up it sounds like metal or filings may have entered the VVT and without taking it apart (the 5 point bolts) you won't know. The plunger & spring that is in the pattern actuates to advance the timing as required (the mechanical portion not the electronics) so if metal filings are wedged inside it could effect the operation of the VVT gear. If it were me I would either 1. take it apart and see if is damaged (tricky keeping all parts where they originally were or 2. replace with a salvage part from a good engine or 3. replace with new. That's what I would do but by all means get second opinion, hope that helps.

Sam

My guess would be that when the motor blew up it sounds like metal or filings may have entered the VVT and without taking it apart (the 5 point bolts) you won't know. The plunger & spring that is in the pattern actuates to advance the timing as required (the mechanical portion not the electronics) so if metal filings are wedged inside it could effect the operation of the VVT gear. If it were me I would either 1. take it apart and see if is damaged (tricky keeping all parts where they originally were or 2. replace with a salvage part from a good engine or 3. replace with new. That's what I would do but by all means get second opinion, hope that helps.
I did completely disassemble ,clean and inspect everything, There was no metal circulated through the motor because when it let loose it went instantaneously, the Timing belt broke at high speed and all hell happened !

69FJ-2.4LTRTDIESEL

100 Posts
Did the machine shop line bore the cam journals? If so it's an unknown that may either fix itself or scatter the thing again. Got me ????

Related Content You Might Like: