• FREE SPEECH SOCIAL MEDIA

If you're looking for a Free Speech Social Media site, check out Blabbook.com

- NO FACT CHECKING - NO SHADOW BANNING - NO POINT OF VIEW CENSORSHIP

Tundra Bed Bounce

Misprint

Is it just me or do any of you guys notice any bed bounce on your Tundra? People are talking about how the Tundra's bed bounces like crazy, and maybe I am getting paranoid about it. I do notice the bed bouncing but maybe I'm just exaggerating it with all these rumors going around. I own a 2007 model, and I'm thinking of getting an '09 or '10 model. And they also say the bounce is worse on these later models. How true is that?

TruckBoy

It's not a question of how true the bounce is. ALL trucks have bed bounce. An empty truck bed makes up about two thirds of the vehicle. Driving it on the road with an empty bed would definitely have the back of the truck popping from the lightness. Try putting a sandbag on the bed. 200 pounds of sand would have you driving your Tundra smoothly.

Schnoodle

My old F150 had a crazier bed bounce. All trucks do bounce, especially when not carrying or pulling a load. But between my Ford and my Tundra, the Tundra wins hands down as a smoother truck on the road.

TruckBoy

I agree, the bed bounce is inherent in all pick-up trucks. As for the cause, it could be a loose bolt that mounts the bed to the actual frame. This is the problem I had with my former truck. Just check if it's wound down tight. Other cause could be that it's simply too light. Trucks are designed to carry some load behind it and a bag of sand sounds like the best and cheapest solution.

TruckBoy

Added comment (lol I sure am talkative) When I drive between 50 to 70 mph on certain roads, it does bounce quite a lot. It actually feels as if someone is jumping up and down the back of my truck. I've owned 3 Tundra's already and the latest I have now is the fully-blown double cab 4x4 2007. And like the others, it does bounce. It's nothing to worry about though, a little weight at the back actually does solves the problem.

Schnoodle

Adding a few hundred pounds of weight on the truck will definitely smoothen your ride, but it will also make it heavier than it already is. With a half-ton truck like that, it's really going to gouge down your fuel. What I notice with my truck however is that the suspension is stiff out of the factory. After having it tuned, it solved some of the bouncing.

Sigrid

Aftermarket suspension will really show results. A year after my dad got his '05, he had skyjacker lift kits installed in it. Softening the current suspension and with a 4" lift did reduce the bounce, but not totally eliminate it. But it's definitely a smoother feeling with the skyjacker on.

1 bad tacoma

100 Posts
my tacoma has be bounce but thats due to the fabtech 6 inch lift with a add a leaf and blocks on the rear axle pluse mine has a lean which we call the taco lean thats cause toyota decided to put every thing on the driver side which i dont mind it but i would like to fix it but dont want to spend the money to do so

5.7yotafan

100 Posts
I have never had a problem with my 07 tundra. I've heard others say it gets so bad it feels like the back end is going to walk around on you. Some say the type of road makes a difference, heard major freeways are the worst. I've been on the interstates around here plenty of times and never had a problem.

1 bad tacoma

100 Posts
I have never had a problem with my 07 tundra. I've heard others say it gets so bad it feels like the back end is going to walk around on you. Some say the type of road makes a difference, heard major freeways are the worst. I've been on the interstates around here plenty of times and never had a problem.
It bounces some trust me I have seen it do it

TruckBoy

Well, the bounce is still as bad as ever, even with the new model. I guess it must have to do with the standard leaf spring system they use.

toyotafan

Toyota Truck Club Founder
Staff member
1000 Posts
A lot of trucks have some bounce in the bed when going over speed bumps, off-road, etc. You can do things to soften up the suspension if you want a bit, but it makes the truck less effective as a truck.

Dadstruck

I just put a couple cinder blocks in the bed in the summer and then a hay bale or two in the winter (wetted down of course). Or leave the blocks in there all year round. Never have an issue with bed bounce and haven't for decades.

Related Content You Might Like: