• FREE SPEECH SOCIAL MEDIA

If you're looking for a Free Speech Social Media site, check out Blabbook.com

- NO FACT CHECKING - NO SHADOW BANNING - NO POINT OF VIEW CENSORSHIP

TRD Performance Exhaust System

Mastergunz1371

100 Posts
Has any one had this put on their 4.0 Tacoma? I am considering it and was trying to get options from those who have it.

Thank you

tbplus10

Staff member
1000 Posts
Community Leader
Not on the 4ltr engine.
I have a TRD exhaust on my Supercharged 3.4ltr.
Im not sure if they still use the same mfgr, the previous gen truck TRD exhaust was mfgr by Borla and branded as TRD.
One of the few times I installed a full replacement aftermarket exhaust and it installed as advertised and noticeably improved perfofmance. Again I can only guess they maintained the same standard with this gen TRD exhaust.

toyotafan

Toyota Truck Club Founder
Staff member
1000 Posts
Keep us updated if you do this. Are you going to install yourself or have our done somewhere?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

Mastergunz1371

100 Posts
Ordered it today, from the dealer, the price included install, I had priced it on Amazone and eBay and with shipping it was not worth ordering and installing myself.

tbplus10

Staff member
1000 Posts
Community Leader
Install isnt bad, but much easier with a lift to put the truck on.
Im sure the price of install is woth not having to deal with crawling around under the truck during winter.

Mastergunz1371

100 Posts
I agree the install, may not be that hard, but also agree crawling under it in the cold would not be fun and with the price including install not worth it to do myself. Hopefully I will get it on next week.

toyotafan

Staff member
1000 Posts
Can't wait to read the review.

I use to have a rule, of course this is back when I grew up in the northwest,but I would never do work on vehicle - major work - after November 1st or before April 1st. So that gave me a solid 7 months to get everything accomplished. Otherwise it was just too cold so it was worth it to pay for it to be done.

Mastergunz1371

100 Posts
Got it put on this afternoon, it is quiet at idol but when you step on it you can tell the difference, feels like a little more power, but I really like the sound. Did not drive but a few miles today, but I will drive more tomorrow.

tbplus10

Staff member
1000 Posts
Community Leader
If its like the previous gen TRD exhaust it should "burn in" after a few thousand miles and get a little deeper growl.

toyotafan

Staff member
1000 Posts
That's interesting. What's it got inside to burn off?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

tbplus10

Staff member
1000 Posts
Community Leader
They dont really burn anything, just the term used.
Nothing internaly to burn out.
I personaly believe what happens is heating and cooling causes the interior panels to warp which causes leaks between the chambers allowing for the change in volume and tone.

toyotafan

Staff member
1000 Posts
Oic. Back about 20 years ago I heard someone who took glass packs and would fill then with gasoline ... Then would drop in as match and WHOOSH ... burned off all of the fiberglass inside. That's a real burn off.

tbplus10

Staff member
1000 Posts
Community Leader
Good to hear your happy with it.

Toyotafan Ived heard that trick being used on all different types of mufflers, its actually the root of where my theory comes from, Ive seen guys do the gasoline trick allowing the muffler to heat up then hose it down with cold water, causing warpage.

James

100 Posts
How much does the TRD Performance Exhaust System cost? It seems like a great addition, but it might be out of my price range!

Mastergunz1371

100 Posts
I paid $575plus tax installed. You can get it cheaper through other sources, however shipping was over $100 so in the long run was not worth the hassle of installing myself.

toyotafan

Staff member
1000 Posts
That's not too bad. I'm a DYI guy by nature, but now that I'm getting older I like to pay to get stuff done unless I think I'm going to learn something or have fun doing it. Also, it keeps these guys in business and they can feed their families and pay their bills too.

So, sometimes I DIY, sometimes I have someone DIFM (Do It For Me) lol.

Mastergunz1371

100 Posts
I like doing things myself, however, the price included install. I guess I could have asked for the price without install but figured messing with was not worth it.

Related Content You Might Like: