• FREE SPEECH SOCIAL MEDIA

If you're looking for a Free Speech Social Media site, check out Blabbook.com

- NO FACT CHECKING - NO SHADOW BANNING - NO POINT OF VIEW CENSORSHIP

Transmission issues w/ 1981 2WD 22R

RuralTowner

OOOO....it's been a learning experience that's for sure.

Seeing this thread go active again makes me nostalgic even more for those 30+ mpgs. Yes the transmission issue has long been solved. At this time I think my current issue is my timing being off 1 tooth on the cam gear...a result of a long series of mistakes and unwanted but learning experiences that occurred in a domino effect as a result of the transmission swap. I NEVER DID INSTALLED A FULL NEW CLUTCH WITH SWAP! ONLY THE DISC! Clutch went to hell in Nov 11' after having several VERY VERY hard stalls (had to rev engine to get drivetrain to reengage so I could move).

Those GREAT(!) MPGs dropped below 30 and became wildly inconsistent. After spending money on carbs (thinking that was a core issue)...and a ring job ... turns out it was my damned timing chain ... it got stretched bad by those stalls (it is OEM to the truck afterall). Replaced it but still didn't get MPGs back...screwing with the carb (and the used spares I'd gotten) didn't help so I ended up getting a Weber 32/36. Now I'm staying consistent near 25mpgs (probably be worse if all I had still were 4 gears instead of 5). Soon here...after all this time screwing around...I intend to get the timing looked at but since it HAS been consistent I've put it off while I take care of other projects. Chances are that the setup I have MIGHT get back my old mileage...just that the Weber isn't OEM and so not as forgiving (5-6mpgs lower vs Weber 8-9 less)...things being out of spec greatly exaggerates the differences and faults.

That Corolla I mentioned in an earlier post...is at this time...ready for its break-in period (its had its own set of adventures during IT'S rebuild). As of now...I'm confident in my ability in just about everything involving an engine rebuild with the only dept lacking being transmission overhaul (so far all I've done there are input//output seals). Figured that since the car was beyond any hope of getting even a fraction of a return by scrapping it...bit the bullet and tried 1 last time to get it going again...with greater care...and used past experience with it and what had been learned on the truck to overcome any problem that might crop up.

RuralTowner

Ah and now don't I have one helluva story how that Corolla just gave me not 1 but 2 (T W O) bent intake push rods! :p As if having just 1 at some point in time wasn't rare enough...and this is my first time having such a thing happen...EVER!

Last edited:

RuralTowner

Yes. The truck's transmission issues are long taken care of. Just a couple minor things to deal with now.

&

The Corolla's rather spectacular fit has been as well...although it took a day and a half to track down WHY #3 cylinder was acting dead after reassembly. Turned out was a whistling vac leak (originally thought it was just the carb...which is now a remanufactured from National Carburetors) at the intake//head joint.

RuralTowner

The only thing holding up the Corolla now is a set of shoes. Had a couple 195/70/14s that had 90% tread that I had on the truck for a short time...found some 14s that would fit the back although gonna need 1/4in spacer to shim a bit more clearance since those 195s are awefully close to the inside of the wheel well. Cost me 25$ for each of the wheels...another 20$ for mount//balance of tires...so 70$ vs 120+ for the norm 13s getting bought//mount//balance...I figure I came out well ahead. The idea also being that at ~50 less revs per mile those rear wheels are at the limit for o/s economy gains...even if only as far as space goes. I know going a bit o/s on the truck definitely gained 1-2mpgs & did pay for themselves eventually. It will skew the cars odo read but I'm used to dealing with that by now.

Sadly the matching wheels from that set of 14s...wont fit in the front...would need 1" spacer just to meet minimum offset just to CLEAR THE SHOCK TOWER...which is out of the question. Sadly finding a set of 4 lug 14s with 4.5" spacing and being no more than 6" wide on the wheel (that seems to be the best measurement I can get on the cars original wheels while the shot tires are in place...but offset will change this) is a pain around here as far as used rims go. Logistics of having to carry 2 different spares would be a pain in the arse.

daisyjohn

Usually the front crankshaft oil seal wears out and wears a groove into the crank so either positions a thin new oil seal in another place on the crank or use a repair sleeve.

Related Content You Might Like: