• FREE SPEECH SOCIAL MEDIA

If you're looking for a Free Speech Social Media site, check out Blabbook.com

- NO FACT CHECKING - NO SHADOW BANNING - NO POINT OF VIEW CENSORSHIP

Transfer case bearing

jazz

Mechanic
100 Posts
Replacing input shaft bearing in transfer case. Had to make a 14mm offset wrench to remove front driveshaft at transfer case because crossmember in the way

For whatever reason can’t upload pics from my phone. Says photos to large. Same IPhone??What has changed?

Last edited:

jazz

Mechanic
100 Posts
Well for my second pic imagine the bearing I bought last year is the wrong size,,,so Napa will have one here in 6 days.

toyotafan

Toyota Truck Club Founder
Staff member
1000 Posts
Try it now. I'm going to delete these extra comments. Add in your photo by editing the first post or adding a new post.

jazz

Mechanic
100 Posts
Okay,,,here's the bearing along with the wrong one. How you get the bearing off the shaft? With a puller?
IMG_2924.JPG

jazz

Mechanic
100 Posts
And here's the wrench I sacrificed to get front drive shaft off at transfer case. Gawd I dont like working off a creeper. I really wanted to complete this task today and not have to go back under again. Maybe boy will be available Wednesday afternoon
IMG_2922.JPG

kennythewelder

Super Moderator
Staff member
100 Posts
Okay,,,here's the bearing along with the wrong one. How you get the bearing off the shaft? With a puller?View attachment 6230
A puller will get the bearing off of the shaft, but may ruin the bearing doing so. The correct way to remove the bearing is to get under it with a split plate. When you pull or push against the balls in the center of the bearing, it can indent the race. You can cut the outer race with a torch, or a cut off wheel, then pull the the inner race off with a puller. So thats the easy part. Once the old bearing is off, to install the new one on, you need to press the inner race in to the shaft, but only the inner race. A pipe that just fits over the shaft, and is long enough so you can hit it with a hammer to drive the new bearing onto the shaft. This pipe need to fit onto the inner race only. And grease the shaft where the bearing will slid on easier.

jazz

Mechanic
100 Posts
So, I bring bearing to my neighbourhood machine shop. Machinist inspects the bearing and says its fine. I explained I hear a noise ONLY when hubs are manually locked even if transfer case is not in 4x4. He tells me its a wheel bearing so, now I get to put this back together. Makes one say "dang!"

jazz

Mechanic
100 Posts
I put the reassembled transfer case. Amazingly it still works as I road tested. Jacked up passenger side front wheel, yep, bearing making noise. Again, not surprised. Put a fire on and will get at it shortly. -10C this am.

Related Content You Might Like: