• FREE SPEECH SOCIAL MEDIA

If you're looking for a Free Speech Social Media site, check out Blabbook.com

- NO FACT CHECKING - NO SHADOW BANNING - NO POINT OF VIEW CENSORSHIP

tranny interchange

goldseeker

Greetings from a newbie. I hope there is a transmission expert on here.

The question is this. Our son has a 92 toy pu, 4 cyl, 4 wd, std cab, short bed, about 230,000 miles. The 5 spd in it is going out. Noisy and hard shifting, especially going into 4th gear. Sometimes it jumps out of gear, 4th only so far. He replaced clutch, including throw out bearing 200-300 miles ago. Not sure if tranny is original, rebuilt, etc.

A freind of his has a 91 or 92 truck, v6, 2wd flatbed. 5 spd was recently rebuilt then engine took a dump. Will the trannys interchange? We hate the thought of pulling both trannys just to measure everything.

One more question if I may. What oils are used in the tranny and transfer case? Most TC's use ATF nowdays but this one has some type of gear oil (not purple color). We're hoping someone didn't add gear oil to quiet it down.

Thanks in advance for any help, thoughts, or sympathy.

tbplus10

Staff member
1000 Posts
Community Leader
If I remember correctly the trans used behind the 4cyl and 6 cyl were completely different units and not interchangeable unless you used an adaptor.
Advanced Adaptors used to sell the parts to do this swap as a kit but I also remember the price was not cheap.
The 4wd trans and 2wd trans are also different animals, the 2wd has what is refered to as a long tailshaft, some of these werent removeable, dont know if this 2wd is or not, but it needs to be removed to connect to the TC.
Well most TC's do use ATF, and either someone was looking to quiet it down, didnt know the proper fluid, or maybe it was an acceptable substitute with and additive.

MuddyTacoma

Mechanic
1000 Posts
Welcome to the site. gear oil? purple? I wonder if there was an additave added to that to get the color to change and do something? I've known people to do that before they sell it to maybe get it to quiet down, but that's more of a darker color and sometimes even graphite (dirty rats!) on a time or two. It's whisper quiet for a while, then it will break down on you.

HankMoody

Sounds like you have had a bit of bad luck. Fortunately I haven't had any of the problems listed on here with my Toyota truck and hopefully I never do. If it's gone 230,000 miles I'd say it could be a lot worse. It's amazing just how durable these trucks are.

Related Content You Might Like: