• FREE SPEECH SOCIAL MEDIA

If you're looking for a Free Speech Social Media site, check out Blabbook.com

- NO FACT CHECKING - NO SHADOW BANNING - NO POINT OF VIEW CENSORSHIP

Toyota Twin Ground Electrode Spark Plugs

SPT100

What is your opinion or experience with spark plugs? Specifically, on the engine there is a decal that says only dual electrode spark plugs should be used. When I check with parts stores such as O'reily, Autozone, etc., they only have single electrode spark plugs available. The thought of going to the dealer for ANYTHING just pains me!

Thanks

toyotafan

Toyota Truck Club Founder
Staff member
1000 Posts
What does the decal look like? Only dual electrode plugs? I've had this argument/discussion before with people, a single electrode produces a spark and a double electrode also produces a spark. Both ignite the gasoline, right? ???

SPT100

Here's the sticker I was mentioning. I just haven't remembered to take a photo! Also, upon deeper investigation, O'reily Auto Parts DOES have the dual electrode spark plugs. I'm going with those!
Plug sticker.jpg

MuddyTacoma

Mechanic
1000 Posts
People have mixed views on these spark plugs, while it is true that there is a higher voltage requirement for these plugs to fire, it's not been proven that the extra current causes any issues, although the hotter it runs the hotter it gets, you follow me? Some people also suggest that the extra voltage actually is counter-productive and will result in a total lower volt spark and thus leading to more carbon. Not sure if that's true or not, but it could be.

tbplus10

Staff member
1000 Posts
Community Leader
MuddyTacoma your comment somewhat validates Toyota's recomendation.
There have been numerous ocaisions where single electrode plugs have melted down due to the higher voltage, dual electrode plugs handle the pulses much better.
Even so called high end plugs have melted down.
Ive seen single electrode plugs fuse to the heads causing melting of the aluminium head casings.

Related Content You Might Like: