• FREE SPEECH SOCIAL MEDIA

If you're looking for a Free Speech Social Media site, check out Blabbook.com

- NO FACT CHECKING - NO SHADOW BANNING - NO POINT OF VIEW CENSORSHIP

toyota OEM parts

john505

Can anyone tell me why Toyota parts are so much more money them other brand names on the parts market. I recently had to replaced the tie-rods and the ball joints, and 2 front axles. The truck has so many miles on it i guess it was time to replace them. The price is so high here in Ny. They charge $90 dollars an hours for labor. A ny toyota parts dealer wanted $360 dollars for tie-rods. Thats outragous.
I had to buy some of the parts out of state to save money. Could someone tell me why the OEM parts from toyota is so much money. If you shop online, you can buy parts from like borg-warner and others for half the price. It be helpful if you guys have some info on a good parts place.

tbplus10

Staff member
1000 Posts
Community Leader
You answered your own question "The truck has so many miles on it" Toyota parts are made with one of the industries highest quality standards, much like the rest of the vehicle. Toyota parts are also subject to import tax because their almost always made in Japan, most domestic manufacturers dont have to pay import tax and may other import manufacturers get out of paying a higher tax by making or buying many of their parts in Mexico.
Try trdparts4u, I always get a good deal from them and they've been helpful finding hard to get parts.

john505

Thanks for the info, makes sence. never thought of the import taxes. I will look at trd parts for sure

You answered your own question "The truck has so many miles on it" Toyota parts are made with one of the industries highest quality standards, much like the rest of the vehicle. Toyota parts are also subject to import tax because their almost always made in Japan, most domestic manufacturers dont have to pay import tax and may other import manufacturers get out of paying a higher tax by making or buying many of their parts in Mexico.
Try trdparts4u, I always get a good deal from them and they've been helpful finding hard to get parts.

toyotasrule

100 Posts
Dealers have a lot of mark-up in their parts. Some of this is for insurance repairs too, the insurance companies have to get the vehicle fixed to pre-accident condition and if it's a late-model (like 3 years old or newer) then you pretty much have to get OEM. That's the bulk of the parts sales ... the rest are upgrades and they would sell a lot more if they lowered their prices.

Loves2Ride

100 Posts
This is an interesting thread. I never realized some of the mark up on parts are from the insurance companies. It makes sense, but it just sucks when it comes to the pocket and money going out.

Does anyone go to a regular mechanic to fix their car, or go directly to the Toyota dealer to have it fixed?

supernovax3

100 Posts
Yep yep...markups everywhere. It's the worst with foreign-made cars/parts. Loves2Ride, I usually take mine to a mechanic that I know personally. I haven't had good experiences with dealerships in the past, they charged far too much.

Loves2Ride

100 Posts
Yep yep...markups everywhere. It's the worst with foreign-made cars/parts. Loves2Ride, I usually take mine to a mechanic that I know personally. I haven't had good experiences with dealerships in the past, they charged far too much.

I agree with the mark-ups with the dealerships. In the past I've steered cleared of them, but within the past year I've become friends with an owner of one and he's willing to help me out a bit. But mechanics usually are better overall in you don't have an in with a dealer.

supernovax3

100 Posts
I agree with the mark-ups with the dealerships. In the past I've steered cleared of them, but within the past year I've become friends with an owner of one and he's willing to help me out a bit. But mechanics usually are better overall in you don't have an in with a dealer.
Ahh well if you're friends, then that's a whole nother story! My mechanic works for a dealership as well, but I've known him for a long time and I know he won't screw me over. He gets right to the problem and helps me find the best and least expensive solutions.

john505

Yes i got to the same people all the time for my repairs, if i can't do it myself.

This is an interesting thread. I never realized some of the mark up on parts are from the insurance companies. It makes sense, but it just sucks when it comes to the pocket and money going out.

Does anyone go to a regular mechanic to fix their car, or go directly to the Toyota dealer to have it fixed?

TruckRider

Mechanic
1000 Posts
You answered your own question "The truck has so many miles on it" Toyota parts are made with one of the industries highest quality standards, much like the rest of the vehicle. Toyota parts are also subject to import tax because their almost always made in Japan, most domestic manufacturers don't have to pay import tax and may other import manufacturers get out of paying a higher tax by making or buying many of their parts in Mexico.

Thanks for the info.. TOYOTA OEM Part are most likely expensive due to import taxes and they get there parts with different supplier around the globe whenever one of their near supplier is out of stock to cover the demand of clients

Related Content You Might Like: