• FREE SPEECH SOCIAL MEDIA

If you're looking for a Free Speech Social Media site, check out Blabbook.com

- NO FACT CHECKING - NO SHADOW BANNING - NO POINT OF VIEW CENSORSHIP

Toyota Boats Photos & Discussion

tbplus10

Staff member
1000 Posts
Community Leader
So how many have ever heard of Toyota boats?

The line up only lasted a short time, 1998 to 2001.

For the first 3 yrs hulls were mfg by Maritech ( mfg of Gambler bass boats).
In the last 6 months of production hulls were mfg by Toyota at a new plant built specifically for the venture.

Toyota used the Lexus 400SC engine as the powerplant, and went as far as to freeze a water filled engine to study durability issues.

There were only a limited amount of models available:
1998: Epic 21 closed bow, Epic 22 open bow.
1999: Epic 21 closed bow, Epic 22 open bow, and the Epic X22 which was designed and sold as the official tow boat of the gravity games.
For 2000 all models again remained the same and a new addition called the S22 was added. This was a V drive boat with sporting a completely different hull from previous models.

The final year saw all previous models held over and the addition of the Epic SX which to this day is considered the premier wake boarding boat.

Later in 2001 Toyota closed the doors and discontinued mfg boats citing a failing economy and limited production numbers made the venture non profitable.

As a boating fan at the time I really wanted one of these boats, but finances and the fact I was stationed overseas in Italy during the production period and Toyota refused to sell overseas left me wanting but never buying.

I was recently able to purchase 2 of these boats, one low hours in perfect condition and another with all the parts except an engine, which in the Marine version is virtually non existent for resale, the few hundred boats produced and still operating are highly prized and when one does become non operable the parts are quickly purchased for a premium by other owners.

My two boats were owned by a local marine dealer the originally sold Toyota boats, the low hour boat was a demo boat and the engineless one was a warranty buy back. They were stored until 2009 when the dealer went bankrupt, the bank has just recently begun liquidating the dealers assets and I was lucky enough to have an acquaintance in charge of clearing the warehouse. The boats cost me, but Even if I keep one I should still make a profit after doing a reengine conversion on the engineless boat. I plan on using a recently acquired Tundra I-Force V8.

At this time I believe Ill be selling both boats since I already have A extensively modified 2003 Glastron 185 bowrider with a GM crate ZZ383 vortech Supercharged engine Ive been building since 2003.
If only Id been able to buy a Toyota Epic 21/22 before purchasing my Glastron, things might have ended differently.

TruckRider

Mechanic
1000 Posts
what a great info here I haven't yet heard about Toyota Boats. Instead I have heard Hyundai shipping line

toyotafan

Toyota Truck Club Founder
Staff member
1000 Posts
Photos? What did they look like?

It's been my observation that there are some industries that have historically stayed regional because of their cost in transportation. For example, most of the history of the "Camper Shell" shows that they are usually manufactured within about 500 miles from where they are sold. Beyond that it's not been worth it to add in the extra shipping costs for these very bulky items. I've thought it was not quite that bad with boats, but similar ... maybe 1,000 miles.

- - - Updated - - -

Just did a Google search and found some. Toyota Epic Line of boats. I assume this is them?

Ponam-boat-Toyota-Motor-Corp.jpg

girls.jpg

girls2.jpg

There you go, there's the name.
normal_Toyota_Epic_21_Boat_Babes.JPG

tbplus10

Staff member
1000 Posts
Community Leader
The bottom three pics are Toyota's, Im not sure who mfgr the top boat, the windscreen and hard top on the fly bridge look more like a European mfgr, possibly Italian with the swoopy lines and the cut of the side windows.
I took one boat out on Joe Pool yesterday and ran the piss out of it. Works great, the other boat is a few weeks from being in the water as I've got the engine at a machine shop getting a few mods to be marine adaptable. The Iforce engine I bought had a little surprise sitting on top of it wjen I went to pick it up, I thought I was paying a little higher price because it was a low mileage late model engine, but the real reason for the higher price was it has a TRD Supercharger sitting on it.
Im leaving it on, means Ill need to lift the engine deck cover about three inchs for better cooling and clearance but I already found a website where someone has already done the same mod and provided all the info.

- - - Updated - - -

Hey that yellow boats registered in Texas, and its also overloaded, their about 2 people above the max allowable.

Toyota Girl

100 Posts
This thread just reminds me that I need to get a boat and get out on the water. :-(

Pretty cool that Toyota made boats though, I didn't know that at all.

TruckRider

Mechanic
1000 Posts
Photos? What did they look like?

It's been my observation that there are some industries that have historically stayed regional because of their cost in transportation. For example, most of the history of the "Camper Shell" shows that they are usually manufactured within about 500 miles from where they are sold. Beyond that it's not been worth it to add in the extra shipping costs for these very bulky items. I've thought it was not quite that bad with boats, but similar ... maybe 1,000 miles.

- - - Updated - - -

Just did a Google search and found some. Toyota Epic Line of boats. I assume this is them?

View attachment 1449

View attachment 1450

View attachment 1451

There you go, there's the name.
View attachment 1452

What a great boat, if this is made by Toyota company, when this boats started the production?

tbplus10

Staff member
1000 Posts
Community Leader
So you were looking at how overloaded the boat was, huh?
I know there was a lot more to look at than that but Im pretty fanatical about safety when Im on the water.
I didnt mention the fact there wasnt a life vest or throwable PFD in site on the first boat, and all those ladies are good swimmers? Which really wouldnt matter in an emergency situation.
At least on the second boat the red head hanging on the back has a vest.

- - - Updated - - -

1998 to 2001, Wanna buy one?

tbplus10

Staff member
1000 Posts
Community Leader
Last update on the Toyota boats, I had envisioned selling the complete and running boat and keeping the one needing an engine.
A couple things happened all in the same day.
First I found a 1953 Vagabond 16' aluminium sport boat that was 80% restored and a distress sale was forcing the owner to sell extremely cheap, $700 for a $25,000 classic that needs minor work to be completed.
An out of town buyer came to look at the running Toyota boat, didnt even attempt to bargain the price, paid asking no questions after a trip on the lake. Then he turned around and offered a great price on the other boat, without the engine.
I sold the engine later that day to a friend building an unlimited off-road truck.
Now all thats left is to learn more about Vagabond boats and finish the restoration in time for a little summer fun.

tbplus10

Staff member
1000 Posts
Community Leader
Dont remind me.
I didnt have time to do much this year between domestic projects and work.
I had my Glastron on the water twice.
I recently purchased a 1939 Centurion Runabout 6 passenger dual cowl with direct drive and a flat head Ford V8.
Im hoping to have a light restoration completed by spring so we can play with it next summer.
The boat had a full restoration 5 years ago by a gentleman that worked in the wood boat industry for over 60 years, to say he knew what he was doing would be an understatement, he created many of the processes and techniques and it shows in this boat.

toyotafan

Staff member
1000 Posts
I'm hoping that this next year is finally the year that things settle down a we make progress on either a rv or a boat. Well see. I always had a boat growing up on the west coast.

TDave

100 Posts
You learn something new every day. Never new that. Are/were they into motorcycles too?

DunkinDog

I am not a boat man myself, sadly, I still don't know how to swim. I don't care to learn either lol but I had no idea they made boats. I enjoyed reading this. Thanks for sharing it.

toyotafan

Staff member
1000 Posts
I'm getting boat fever again. Would be nice to get back out on the water.

tbplus10

Staff member
1000 Posts
Community Leader
Season will be ending soon, great time to buy for next year.
Sadly I'm selling my 03 Glastron, hasn't been used enough in the last few years.
At this point I've put way to much money in returning it to stock and making it a reliable family boat vs a fast water blasting hazard.

Related Content You Might Like: