• FREE SPEECH SOCIAL MEDIA

If you're looking for a Free Speech Social Media site, check out Blabbook.com

- NO FACT CHECKING - NO SHADOW BANNING - NO POINT OF VIEW CENSORSHIP

Towing with Sequoia ~ 2007 Limited

kennythewelder

Super Moderator
Staff member
100 Posts
Yes. If anything that may be a little under rated. There has to be a safety factor built into those numbers. The real factor is not towing that much weight, its stopping it, once its rolling down the road, but with a 6200# rating your good at a leaser weight.
Welcome to the forum.

tibadoe

Staff member
1000 Posts
Community Leader
Welcome from VA Mrgarlic. As Kenny said, as long as you are under your max tow rating your good. What brake controller are you going with?

toyotafan

Toyota Truck Club Founder
Staff member
1000 Posts
Greetings from new member. I have a 2007 Sequoia Limited. Towing is rated at 6200 lbs. do you feel that is a good number. I am buying an RV trailer that will be 5000 lbs, max loaded?
You will not have any mechanical or legal issues with towing, just make certain that your vehicle is in really good working order. Make certain the brakes are good, suspension, etc.

You're going to be right at about 80% of your max tow capacity with that trailer. Get a good sway-bar, a good brake controller, etc.

@Mrgarlic, what type of trailer are you getting?

Charlie2640

Garlic - I have the same vehicle with the smaller engine of the two. A year or so ago, I pulled a car trailer with a Mitsubishi Eclipse on it for about 200 miles. I told my daughter not to buy it, but her idiot boyfriend apparently knew more about cars than I did ;) The car comes in at 3500 lbs and I figure the trailer at least another 1500. The first thing I learned is that I have a built in leveling system. When I hooked up the trailer, it started leveling and scared the crap out of me! :D

Anyway, the pull was from NE South Carolina back to Atlanta, s I85 has some pretty good hills along that route. Sequoia had no issues at all. The car trailer had it's own electric brakes that tied into the hitch system of the truck. I felt completely comfortable with no sway at all. As other's have said, towing makes the vehicle work, so watch the maintenance items.

tibadoe

Staff member
1000 Posts
Community Leader
Make sure when you load the trailer you balance it correctly so tongue weight is 10% (9-14%" is acceptable).

MuddyTacoma

Mechanic
1000 Posts
Greetings from new member. I have a 2007 Sequoia Limited. Towing is rated at 6200 lbs. do you feel that is a good number. I am buying an RV trailer that will be 5000 lbs, max loaded?
How many miles are on your 2007 Sequoia and how well do you do the maintenance, keep up with problems, have good tires and brakes, etc. Since we know that you're in Oregon you have the ability to go over some serious mountain passes, so you really want to make certain that your tow rig is in good working condition.

As for the tow rating vs your carrying weight. I don't see a problem with it. The tow rating is more than how much you can physically hook up on the bumper, but that's the most critical piece of the puzzle by far. If you're at 80% of total max towing, I think that you're good in my book. Just get that now 13-year old vehicle checked out really well and know what you're able to pull and never push yourself.

MuddyTacoma

Mechanic
1000 Posts
Thanks for the reply’s. I have good equalizer hitch,sway bar and brake control.i have been RV,ING SINCE the 60’s but first for towing. This weekend will be the test. I live in Oregon, we do have a few hills
@Mrgarlic where are you going on your test trip? Let's see a pic of your tow rig and trailer when you get it please.

Related Content You Might Like: