• FREE SPEECH SOCIAL MEDIA

If you're looking for a Free Speech Social Media site, check out Blabbook.com

- NO FACT CHECKING - NO SHADOW BANNING - NO POINT OF VIEW CENSORSHIP

towing with a 2001 tundra

sh0pperin053

I bought a 2001 Tundra and used it to tow an old LoLiner travel trailer (5-6000 lbs). On the way down the mountain from the lake (about 12 miles) the tranny was damaged (felt like thick mush and had to jam the stick around to find a gear). It was repaired under warranty and has been fine for 50K miles.
During that time I towed a horse trailer now and then, similar in weight, but never on a long steep incline as described. No apparent damage.
Now I have another travel trailer, similar in weight to the first (5-6000 lbs). the question: is the tranny fully repaired and I should have no problems, OR is this a weakness in the 2001 design and it will probably happen again if I tow it up and down the mountain.
Thanks,
Shopperino

5.7yotafan

100 Posts
You should be able to tow that much wieght without any problems, I would take it easy on the inclines to make sure. The old tranny may have had problems before but just weren't noticeable until a load was put on it.

TruckBoy

I guess since you fixed the tranny that problem will not appear again. Use a weight distribution hitch, prodigy brake controller, a sway bar, and always drive in tow mode. There is no design problem in regards to towing with a Tundra.

dirtydeeds

Gold Vendor
100 Posts
There was a tow package when I bought my Tundra in 03. It came automatically I think when you opted for the TRD off road package.

If you don't have the tow package I would highly recommend installing one simple feature from it: Transmission oil cooler. Real simple to install and the benefits are well worth the effort!

Related Content You Might Like: