• FREE SPEECH SOCIAL MEDIA

If you're looking for a Free Speech Social Media site, check out Blabbook.com

- NO FACT CHECKING - NO SHADOW BANNING - NO POINT OF VIEW CENSORSHIP

Tire age and size - 2003 Tacoma Tires

paulmars

My 2003 tacoma 2wd 2.4L. Just hit 60k miles. Ive had several flats (nails and screws) over the years so I think each tire must have at least one plug. Plugs are fine, no leaks. However, these original tires, which have plenty of tread left, are getting old and have been baked in the Florida sun. Additionally more then once it sat in the driveway with a flat for a few days up to a week, which cant be good for the sidewalls. Sidewalls are all cracked, which i dont think matters, but im not sure.

I drive it 2 to 4 times a month between 10 and 100 miles each time. Often on the highway. No off road driving. Rarely do I carry anything in the bed and i have never towed anything and have no plans to change. Never has more the 200 pounds been in the bed, except for the 3 loads of dirt that i moved 5 miles each. the bed was full, I dont know how much that weighs.

Two questions:

One: should i go ahead and spring for a new set of 5 tires? (for safety reasons)

Two: Looking at truck tires, they are more expensive then car tires. So, looking at car tires I found some inexpensive tires that get good ratings by rating services and by users and this tire is rated at 97s which is the same as my original tires and the same as specified in the owners manual. Now, this tire that Im considering does not come in my size. My size is 205x75r15 97s which equals a circumference of 153.75 The closest I find in the tire im considering 215x70 which is circumference 150.50 which is close enough for me. i dont think 10mm wider should be an issue. Using the original alloy wheels.

Tire im considering Firestone Precision Touring 215/70r15.

Advice?

tks,
pa

tbplus10

Staff member
1000 Posts
Community Leader
Yes for safetys sake spring for the new tires, those sidewall checks and cracks can lead to sudden failure and blow outs.
Car tires and truck tires differ mostly in weight ratings and tire heiggt.
For your use lessor rated passenger car tires will just fine. Dont let them scare you and over sell, if you feel there to pushy leave, theres tire stores on every block and one that is willing to be honest.

toyotafan

Toyota Truck Club Founder
Staff member
1000 Posts
Yes, agree here. Tires wear out from use and also from age. I think the federal law states 7 years for most application (installed on a vehicle, inflated, etc.) is considered the life of the tire.

Related Content You Might Like: