• FREE SPEECH SOCIAL MEDIA

If you're looking for a Free Speech Social Media site, check out Blabbook.com

- NO FACT CHECKING - NO SHADOW BANNING - NO POINT OF VIEW CENSORSHIP

The MOST EPIC 1977 Toyota FJ40 Land Cruiser EVER!!!!

MuddyTacoma

Mechanic
1000 Posts
That's awesome! Wow, wonder if it was built someplace else and then moved to cali? Like in the Hawaiian Islands or something.

Toyota Girl

100 Posts
Im not getting in that thing. Will it even float? Before I spent $20000 on something like that I'd have to see it float.

For crying out loud who's going to set up that thing if there's a tsunami coming?

James

100 Posts
Wow, if I lived in Los Angeles, I would buy that. A true classic. Well worth the money.

TM13TM

TTC Chicks
This is very interesting. I have never thought of making a Land Cruiser into a survival car, but who knows what will come your way in terms of disaster. I guess if you are preparing for the end of the world, it would be more useful than other vehicles. I wonder if this guy thought about packing some food items and other necessities in here before the storm? o_O

And for a 1977 model, the square body and square frame seems like it would be pretty stable for the most part. You have to give the guy credit for thinking outside the box on this one. I would not even have the brains to come up with something like this.

PurpleRose

TTC Chicks
Wow! I wonder if this guy made the floaters as well. This is a very interesting concept, but I really do not like it.

I think it would probably be a great guy think that would be the talk of the neighborhood, though. If I was into this type of thing, it is a positive that you can take things off and put them back on when needed.

I wonder how many hours were spent setting this thing up?? Also, wonder how many more hours of work needs to be done?? And, I bet the gas mileage goes way down. What do you think?

BamaKaren

TTC Chicks
100 Posts
All this work to make it a survival car. What happens when the engine gives out? It is a 1977 after all. Since there are no tsunamis in Alabama, I think I will have to give it a pass.

I guess to each his own. However, I think the person who did this went a little overboard. Maybe he or she has too much time on his or her hands. I do wish the seller luck in trying to find someone to buy it. A lot of worthless junk along with a classic 1977 Toyota FJ40. For $8,000, I might be interested in buying it.

TruckJunkie

I was just wondering myself about the engine. I am curious if it is a rebuilt engine, the original, or what? Would have to ask for more information before making a decision. Probably not too many other people have thought about creating something like this. I agree to giving the guy some credit - he had a vision or dream and went with it!

Looks like a little work needs done for the passenger area as well. It looks like there may be some handle bars for them to hold onto, but it is hard to tell. Also wondering about seat belts - this would be a nice addition in the case of a major storm!

Gas mileage - yea probably not too good on this one. But a guy could have a lot of fun!!

DIY2013

Not sure how much the propeller system costs, but it does have some advantages when put to use. It increases efficiency and economy in most cases for the user. It also helps provide the user with more maneuver control, so it adds to the ability to control as well as gives additional power.

The CPP system provides the driver with the ability to jump in the vehicle and cruise away in the water. This definitely would be useful in the case of a tsunami or major flooding. My concern would be in the event of debris in the water, how will the propellers handle this if they are hit by building materials, tree logs, and the like??

Good idea, but has challenges to overcome! I guess one could maybe place a protection cage over the propellers to help provide additional protection.

BR789

One disadvantage would be needing more than one person to lift the pontoon side carts onto the racks. Too bad, the guy didn't include some sort of lift for these. Guess you could add something like this, but where does it end?

I like the idea of having a propeller system if something major did occur. I wonder if they have taken this thing out into the water and tested it? It would definitely add more value to see it in the water in action. A video presentation would be nice! I want to see more!

Anyway, the I wonder if the racks are welded? Looks nice on the rear end view - someone has done a lot of work on this thing!

James

100 Posts
It would be great to see it in action. I wonder how well the propeller system works. The other problem is whether the propeller system works well. Was it sitting in a garage rusting?

This is an amazing survival car. However with all the flaws, I think $19,900 is a little much for it.

lanebandit

I would be concerned with whether these guys used top of the line parts in the construction. I would hate to see someone get hurt due to shoddy work. Also, the more things you add the heavier the vehicle will be. I know the aluminum is lighter, but for this price I would want to know the best of the best was used. Also, is it a lemon or a real diamond?

The guy states in the ad that the propeller system has not even been put on yet. But, like you say is it in good condition. I would want to see this thing in person and inspect it thoroughly before buying.

What flaws do you feel it has from what you can see, James?

James

100 Posts
The passenger side needs work. I think you would want to get it for around $10,000. It needs too much work for $19,900. I would probably want to put my own flotation device on it. One that I knew was of the highest quality.

I would say a good buy for the right price.

BeachBumGal

TTC Chicks
Oh my, I would not want to be seen in one of these things. I cannot believe someone would do something like this. Well, I can - my dad who passed many years ago like to create stuff. I really do not think this will save you, but have to give a little credit to the guy.

A propeller? Next, someone will want to add automatically ejecting industrial side air bags to this thing. What else would one think of here?

For the price, I would buy something different! :eek:

SUVFan

Aluminum has advantages and disadvantages. They tend to not leak as much, unless there are issues. The pontoons will be better in open water versus between river banks. I really do not care for pontoons or something like this created with a "pontoon" affect. I know some people have high regards for them, but not me.

Any welding done will have weak spots at the weld point versus a solid sheet. Even if the person is a good welder, it is still an area where there can be pockets creating weakness.

I have to say the price is a little high for me, too. If it was in excellent condition and I was interested in something like this, maybe I would give $12000 to the high end of $14000 providing everything was in tip top shape.

I wonder why the second owner is wanting to get rid of it?

Huck Norris

I personally would not drive around town in this thing. I would want to be able to take the racks off for regular driving. Also, wonder about adding quick attachments so that it can be added and removed in no time at all.

Inside needs a little work for me and some safety features added as well.

Buster

I also think seeing this thing in action would make the sale. I am not too fond of using pontoon type side cars though. But, they may be better than fiberglass, don't know in this situation.

There is probably not another like this in the world. There are a lot of people who think big disasters are coming and stock piling as well as doing more survival type stuff. More power to them!

MickyD

Does anyone know how the propeller system actually works? I am assuming it runs off the battery, or is there a separate engine when you put the system into place?

I really would not spend the money for this, but I am curious about how adding the system would work. Definitely interested in learning more.

Seems like everyone is split on whether this Land Cruiser is likeable or not...everyone has brought up some ideas to think about as well.

toyotafan

Toyota Truck Club Founder
Staff member
1000 Posts
Propeller is PTO ... that means "Power Train Operated". That means that is run off of the engine and transmission right down the powertrain, so you have to have the engine running in order to give power to the propeller.

NOW, that being said, that's not all that uncommon, but there are different ways to do that. For example, Tow Trucks all use PTO to manage their hydraulics.

Last edited:

Related Content You Might Like: