• FREE SPEECH SOCIAL MEDIA

If you're looking for a Free Speech Social Media site, check out Blabbook.com

- NO FACT CHECKING - NO SHADOW BANNING - NO POINT OF VIEW CENSORSHIP

Texas Getting Rid of Vehicle Inspection Window Stickers!

toyotafan

Toyota Truck Club Founder
Staff member
1000 Posts
This has been coming for a while, but it's just a month away now from what I understand.

Texas is going to get rid of the inspection sticker on your vehicle's windshield. You still have to get the inspection done, but that inspection will become part of your registration so you will only have one sticker and one anniversary date to keep up with.

Full Story: http://kxan.com/2014/06/24/texas-to-no-longer-require-auto-inspection-sticker/

tbplus10

Staff member
1000 Posts
Community Leader
Is this good or bad? Ive read some info but still wondering if Im missing something.

toyotafan

Staff member
1000 Posts
Yeah, seems like it just snuck up on everyone. I guess they're going to do what you have to do in other states, there are two ways to do this, but if they're going to one sticker then you must have to get inspected and then go get it registered after that. No inspection probably means no registration.

tbplus10

Staff member
1000 Posts
Community Leader
California required a copy of the inspection cert be included with the registration renewal back in the eighties, dont know if thats changed.
Never had an inspection sticker requirement.
No inspection = no tag renewal, worked fine for me.

toyotafan

Staff member
1000 Posts
I was blocked from registering today even though I have an active inspection sticker on my vehicle. Not sure what gives.

20150316_155831.jpg

tbplus10

Staff member
1000 Posts
Community Leader
I registered my bike and my wifes Jeep Wrangler on line yesterday and had no problems.
I was expecting issues since Ive heard others having problems over the last few months.

toyotafan

Staff member
1000 Posts
They're telling me that because in outside of the grace period that my registration is late and I need to get a new inspection. That's bs because if I registered in time, I would simply throw away my current Inspection sticker and just get it inspected during my next registration. Now they're telling me that I have to get it inspected now and again inside of the next 12 months ... even though the language states explicitly that I don't need to do that.

toyotafan

Staff member
1000 Posts
Yeah, they said it was a massive headache for them.

I was totally unaware that Texas created a DMV back in 2009! That took me by surprise as most states had a DMV but Texas never did, just a DPS.

TDave

100 Posts
Nebraska got rid of them in the mid 80's IIRC. They don't even have inspection at registration.

Of course, now you see all kinds of contraption jalopies cruising the streets that would have never passed inspection back then, lol.

How much longer does it take you to register your vehicle now, with the inspection? We can do registration online, so it's a lot nicer.

Wonder how many states still do inspections?

geezala

Sounds like a way to save some tax dollars by combining inspection and registration.

I'm surprised more states haven't started up inspections, just to add a little more tax money to the public coffers.

TDave

100 Posts
Wow, thought it would bring in more tax dollars than it would spend, must be due to the amount of time to do them.

toyotafan

Staff member
1000 Posts
I broke down and went ahead and get the inspection done ... which stinks because in a period of 9 months I will have to get two inspections done, which is what the law was supposed to avoid!!!!!!!!!!!!! Grrrrrr

toyotafan

Staff member
1000 Posts
I know I posted this before, but I have to re-register again and still floors me that Texas created a DMV in 2009!

kennythewelder

Super Moderator
Staff member
100 Posts
Our registration is on our licence plate. Some vehicles are every 2 years, trucks and other vehicles are every 4 years. It is $10 a year for every 10,000 that you vehicle is worth, So if your truck is worth 30,000 then your sticker is $30, with $10 being the minimum you will pay per year. This must be done ether in the mail or at the DMV. As for our inspection sticker, that is done at an inspection station. A lot of mechanic shops do this, it is also $10 per year, and you can now get a 2 year sticker for $20. It doesn't matter what you vehicle is worth for the inspection sticker. So we only have 1 sticker on the windshield, the inspection sticker. A boat trailer
motor cycle ect has the same rules, they just staple the inspection sticker to your copy of the regeneration. But keep on mind that in Louisiana we do have state taxes that yall dont in Tx.

toyotafan

Staff member
1000 Posts
reminds me that I have to get this done for my rigs again. wish we could do every 2 years.

toyotafan

Staff member
1000 Posts
This is a distant memory for those of us in Texas now. Goodbye and good riddance.

Related Content You Might Like: