• FREE SPEECH SOCIAL MEDIA

If you're looking for a Free Speech Social Media site, check out Blabbook.com

- NO FACT CHECKING - NO SHADOW BANNING - NO POINT OF VIEW CENSORSHIP

Tent shopping - suggestions anyone?

MuddyTacoma

Mechanic
1000 Posts
So my sister and her family (2 adults, 8 & 6 yo kids) are looking to get started tent camping and it's been so long since I've bought a tent in 20 years ... I've got a Jansport tent from the 90's that still works for me, although my tent-camping days are numbered.

First off, it seems to me like tents used to be a lot more expensive but also a lot better made.
Seriously, how is it possible to get a massive 10-man tent like you can find at Wal-Mart or one of the big-box outdoor stores for $150 when a nice 4-man tent cost that much 20+ years ago? Has overseas production really driven down costs that much, especially in face of inflation.

Anyhow, any advice and suggestions that you all can give me on tents will be appreciated.
Canvas tents still an option? What about these multi-room tents? I've even seen some with pods that can be zipped off inside and some that have a giant central living area with two or three (or more) entry ways.

Thanks in advance, there are so many options for tents these days!

0004729736423_500X500.jpg
img-thing.jpg
0004729736424_500X500.jpg
maxresdefault.jpg
parts-of-a-camping-tent-walmart-live-better.jpg

toyotafan

Toyota Truck Club Founder
Staff member
1000 Posts
So, the first question is what type of budget are we looking at? That will dictate what to look for to start.

Those lower-priced tents will be good for a few years probably, but doubt if they will last as long as your tent from the 90's (which was probably still made in the US back then ... that's why costs have come down a lot, they don't have to pay the people who make stuff in China but pennies on the dollar for what US labor would cost).

Also, I'm just going to assume that you're talking about drive-up campsites where you won't have to backpack in a couple of miles or anything.

jazz

Mechanic
100 Posts
I paid $150 20 years ago for a dome shape 2 person Coleman tent. It has withstood torrential rain and wind,,never leaked a drop. You get what you pay for with tents...like anything else..

Related Content You Might Like: