• FREE SPEECH SOCIAL MEDIA

If you're looking for a Free Speech Social Media site, check out Blabbook.com

- NO FACT CHECKING - NO SHADOW BANNING - NO POINT OF VIEW CENSORSHIP

Synthetic oil

jazz

Mechanic
100 Posts
Is anyone using synthetic oil in their older toyota. I have a rebuilt 22RE with only a few thousand miles on it in my truck. Just wondering what brand.. I run mobile 0 20 synthetic in our Camry as factory recommended.

samm57

I have an 86 4X4, SR5, 22RE with 119,000 original miles and I'm running Mobile One 10W30 in the engine. (I'm also running Mobile One 75W90 in the transmission and transfer case, and Amsoil 80W90 in the front and rear differentials.)

We also run Mobile One 0W20 in both our Camrys as recommended by the owners manual.

jazz

Mechanic
100 Posts
I have done some googlin' and seems the general consensus is stick with the dinosaur 5w30 for the winter. I still may run synthetic in my diff and transfer case. I did that with my old 4 runner.. Winter arrived last night...-31F with a brisk breeze...

samm57

It seems to me that if synthetic is good for the differentials and transfer case, it should also be good for the engine. It's the same viscosity as conventional oil, and doesn't break down as easily. I guess everyone needs to make their own decision.

Many of the posts I read on line also call for 20W50 or straight 30 weight, which doesn't make a lot of sense to me, especially given the owners manual recommendations.

BuffaloBill

Is anyone using synthetic oil in their older toyota. I have a rebuilt 22RE with only a few thousand miles on it in my truck. Just wondering what brand.. I run mobile 0 20 synthetic in our Camry as factory recommended.
Every message board has an oil debate. Synthetic outlasts conventional oil but as long as you change it often enough and use the recommended type and weight you can't go wrong with either. Clean oil is better than dirty oil and will protect your driveline for 200k miles or more if it's kept clean.

toyotafan

Toyota Truck Club Founder
Staff member
1000 Posts
Every message board has an oil debate. Synthetic outlasts conventional oil but as long as you change it often enough and use the recommended type and weight you can't go wrong with either. Clean oil is better than dirty oil and will protect your driveline for 200k miles or more if it's kept clean.
This is true. Seems like mfgs are shipping from factory either synthetic or blends in the engine.

jazz

Mechanic
100 Posts
so i just came in from the garage ,,,drained the dinosaur oil out of front diff to change cv joint... then kicked over the can over... Also,,the lock nut on the cv axle requires a 54mm socket. I could only find a 55mm locally which worked. I know I could have loosened the nut with a drift but I expect to use it again. I was surprised that a search on ebay for a 54 mm socket were only available from UK or Australia,,nothing on this side of the pond.

toyotafan

Toyota Truck Club Founder
Staff member
1000 Posts
I looked it up, looks like 2 1/8th is the closest, that's going to be hard to come by too, lol.

2 1/8 53.96
2 1/4 57.15

jazz

Mechanic
100 Posts
2 1/8th" was my next plan,,,pulled out my 3/4 drive set, its largest socket is 2'' as most sets are. I could order a standard 54mm 3/4 drive at napa for about $43.00. I have a napa a block away so I have to get a sway bar link as i snapped one off in order get clearance for cv removal. Also had to unbolt top of front shock to get a-arm to drop.

for as much torque as the socket will ever take i considered making one from some 14g a steel,, and likely could have in the time I wasted running around town trying to source one.

Last edited:

Drake

TTC Chicks
I have a 85 4x4, SR5, 22RE and i'm using Mobile One 10W40 full synthetic and its been working great. I have 360,000 miles too.

jazz

Mechanic
100 Posts
bought a 55 mm for $15.00 at cheapshitautopartrus it works as there really is very little torque on a wheel nut....I could put some spacers in socket to tighten it up but it is really not required..the 54mm is rare on this side of the pond.. We have had temps in the -30's for a week now and with a 40 km breeze I really should switch to synthetic in the diffs,,,,its really a tough push with dinosaur oil....

samm57

The most readily available 80W90 gear oil for the diffs is Amsoil. At least that was my experience.

tbplus10

Staff member
1000 Posts
Community Leader
Ive been using Redline Synthetic in my diffs, trans, and tranny since my 99 Tacoma TRD was new, it now has 140k trouble free hard use miles.
The engine is a 3.4 supercharged with lots of mods, including a custom fuel system that runs not only gasoline but has water and alcohol injection.
I used synthetic for the first 60k but started getting weird substances from the pan that I suspect were related to the alcohol injection, so I went back to dyno, probably best since I change oil every 4k anyways.

samm57

I've heard great things about the Redline oils. Sounds like you take your Taco seriously! Can you post a photo?

tbplus10

Staff member
1000 Posts
Community Leader
I dont take it very serious now days, Ive owned it for 16yrs and spent way to much money on modifications.
Sadly shes sat in the side yard for 18months now and only been started 3 times in all that time.
Remind me about pics in a few weeks and Ill take some, Im travelling for work until the end of the month.

Related Content You Might Like: