• FREE SPEECH SOCIAL MEDIA

If you're looking for a Free Speech Social Media site, check out Blabbook.com

- NO FACT CHECKING - NO SHADOW BANNING - NO POINT OF VIEW CENSORSHIP

Synthetic Oil, Is It Worth It?

TDave

100 Posts
A good read I just found on Yahoo, of all places. I'm still stuck in the ol' 3k-4k train of thought with oil changes, but I might make the switch eventually.

The oil change interval or OCI is the recommended mileage interval between oil changes. There is a large debate on when you should change your oil and the classic consensus has always been that it should be done every 3 months or 3000 miles. This is the main point of contention when discussing the cost and environmental benefits of synthetic oil. In my area, the current specials show 5 quarts of conventional at $13 5 quarts of full synthetic at $22. If your car takes exactly 5 quarts and you do a 3000 mile OCI then your cost per 1000 miles on the conventional is $4.33. In order to reach the same cost with the synthetic you would need to extend your OCI to 5080 miles.

http://oppositelock.jalopnik.com/the-truth-about-motor-oil-is-synthetic-worth-it-1687938812

toyotafan

Toyota Truck Club Founder
Staff member
1000 Posts
This is a heated debate for sure. I knew the guy in charge of all diesel fleet trucks for Jason's Deli, which operates in something like 30 states now. Their distribution center is in the DFW, Texas area and they run very high quality synthetic oils with additives, etc. They only change the oil filter every 15,000 miles and a full oil change every 100,000 miles, topping off when needed.

It's been a few years since I chatted with him, but he said that they were seeing 1-million miles on trucks by doing this technique, that is before a major overhaul of the engine.

MuddyTacoma

Mechanic
1000 Posts
I think the author of this article doesn't have his numbers right, but he's on the right path.

There is a cost where it's more economical conventional vs. synthetic, but I would put it more like 7,000 miles conventional oils compared to easily 12,000 or even 15,000 on a high quality synthetic oil. So, you're getting double the mileage, so as long as it's less than double the price, you're financially breaking even.

That being said, which oil helps protect better? Which oil helps to prevent sludge better? Which oil is going to keep the engine running longer if it's properly maintained and the engine has not been abused.

geezala

Good points. I agree that to really get your money's worth, you're going to have to go 10,000 or 15000 miles. I can remember when all you had to worry about was the weight.

10w30, 10w40, whatever it takes.

fleeter

I've used Mobil 1 for years now. My opinion by my research is synthetic oil withstands higher heat than conventional oils. Synthetic doesn't come from natural resources (from the ground) You can go many more miles between oil changes and I change my own, and use Pureolator Pure One Filter. NASCAR endorses, (I know, what ever) The only thing I haven't done is to send a sample of my used oil after 5,000 miles and have it analyzed. These are my reasons for going synthetic.

geezala

Is there a point at which you should change the filter, and not the oil, if you're using synthetic? Somebody mentioned in another thread that they have a fleet of vehicles and they change the filter more than the oil

TDave

100 Posts
I wonder if synthetic oil is better for the environment, so that the tree huggers aren't screaming about using oil.

jazz

Mechanic
100 Posts
I use synthetic oil in our camry. Sure makes it easier starting at -40 as it does not lose viscosity compared to the 5 30 I run in the winter in my toyota truck. I may consider changing to synthetic in truck at next oil change as there is only a few thousand miles on the rebuilt engine. Conventional oil I change at 2 to 3k miles.,,my truck only sees 6000 miles a year at most.

jazz

Mechanic
100 Posts
Northwestern Ontario,,,overlooking the Sleeping Giant. The aurora borealis has been spectacular all week. I work nights so I don't miss any of the show.

ccat4433

How does synthetic oil handle dirt? I do a lot of dirt road driving and was wondering how synthetic oil can handle the small dirt particles vs standard oil?

toyotafan

Toyota Truck Club Founder
Staff member
1000 Posts
How does synthetic oil handle dirt? I do a lot of dirt road driving and was wondering how synthetic oil can handle the small dirt particles vs standard oil?
That's actually a good question, anyone?

Related Content You Might Like: