• FREE SPEECH SOCIAL MEDIA

If you're looking for a Free Speech Social Media site, check out Blabbook.com

- NO FACT CHECKING - NO SHADOW BANNING - NO POINT OF VIEW CENSORSHIP

Steering wheel shake

Cire.yenaled

I bought my Tundra with 20k miles, after market rims and Cooper HT 275/60/20s. I had the truck tires rotated and balanced three times as well as an alignment. However, nothing would get rid of the steering wheel shake at 60-65. So, I replaced after market rims with 20" Texas edition rims and new Michelin LTX AS2, 275/65/20. Tires were balanced when install occurred. However, after all the $$$, the steering wheel still shakes at 60-65. I am beginning to think this may not be tires or balance. This steering wheel shake occurs only when the truck has been parked over 6 hours. So, every morning, shakes like hell for the first 10 miles around 60+/-. It also happens when parked at work all day. But, if I drive over 10 miles, park for a short time, get back in, get up to speed, no shake.
So I've balanced, aligned, replaced and replaced again. Lugs nuts are at 80lbft.
Can someone please tell me what I am issuing? Driveline balance? Rotors? Any ideas please let me know, it drives me nuts!!!

tbplus10

Staff member
1000 Posts
Community Leader
Even though the tires are balanced is there a possibility they could be out of round? Two sets of tires seems odd for that type problem but the symptoms your posting would indicate something like that.
Whats the weather like when this occurs? Is it cold?
Tire shake in larger tires on cold days or with cold tires used to be a problem when bias ply tires were used but with radilas it hasnt been much of an issue.
I had an issue much like this on my Tacoma a few years back, a tire rotation solved the problem for a few months, my tires were wearing weird and after about, 4K miles I had to rotate them again, I dont drive the truck but about 2K miles a year if that now so the problem could still be there I'm, I'm sure it is, I'm just not seeing it with the lower mileage.
It wont normally affect a problem like this but check for a steering dampner and to see if it's working right.
Since you dont seem to have this issue while braking the only other item that could cause this issue would be a front hub bearing.

Cire.yenaled

Thanks for the reply. On the steer tire position, I went through two pairs of Continentals and now have already rotated the new set of Michelins. So, I could be wrong, but I would be really surprised if one tire in each pair of those was our of round each time. If they were out of round, though, I would guess they would shake every time at 60+/-, but my problem only happens when the truck has been setting for a period of time (6+hrs). As much as I like my truck, I do have to park it at times! The brake rotors have a 'lil shimmy, at higher speeds. But, it isnt very noticeable even when braking. I guess it could cause this, but again, it doesnt shake at all once the tires are "warm" - in other words, once I have driven 10mi or so. And in TX, it is pretty much 75 as a low temp everyday. I dont know much about the hubs, but how could I tell they are bad or causing this shake? Any way to tell other than just throwing parts at it? Same with steering dampener.

Related Content You Might Like: