• FREE SPEECH SOCIAL MEDIA

If you're looking for a Free Speech Social Media site, check out Blabbook.com

- NO FACT CHECKING - NO SHADOW BANNING - NO POINT OF VIEW CENSORSHIP

Side-yard Fence Project - Expanding Fence To Store A Trailer

toyotafan

Toyota Truck Club Founder
Staff member
1000 Posts
## Split these posts apart from the other threads to make this thread ##

Here is the side yard. The fence would be roughly 12' from house to tdc of the fence, so let's just say that would give 11' 9" at the least. Should be more than enough room for an 8' wide trailer to fit in there, I'm thinking about 10" from the right side of the fence, so that would give about 36" on the left side to walk around. These are just rough numbers, of course.

Christmas 2012 718.JPG

Last edited:

toyotafan

Staff member
1000 Posts
If you zoom in on the photo, you can see the black hinges on the back fence ... That's the location where my property is at (on the left) vs the neighbor.

jazz

Mechanic
100 Posts
I would lay down a cheap grey/brown/ tarp with a plank on either side to set the trailer wheels on,,,the planks would also hold the tarp down. Now thats cheap!

toyotafan

Staff member
1000 Posts
I'm having some people come out to give me estimates on getting the fence extended and the gate built. I have a feeling like it's not going to be worth it financially because the more I look at that area, the more it looks like I have to build up the side yard with some dirt as it's got a pronounced slope to it.

If this were the spring/summer I might use the old landscapers trick and spread out a yard of dirt and then put sod on top of that, then keep sprinkling dirt on top of the sod over time and you can build up the ground a few inches over a few weeks, but it's mid winter and nothing's growing.

toyotafan

Staff member
1000 Posts
I found a pretty cool online tool for doing designs in both 2d and 3d layouts. I had the survey to my house already so that saved a ton of time and I just drew the outside lines of the house and then made a simple fence and attempted to make a double-swing gate but it's more just to see what it would all look like if I had a 96" wide trailer inside of a space that's going to be less than 144".

In fact, with the fence material itself and I'll probably put the new fence at least 1" on my side of the property line, just so the neighbor won't stick anything onto it like they did on the current fence that splits the property line ... I'll probably have 140" (11' 8") to stick an 8' wide trailer, so if I give myself 12" on the outside of the trailer, that leaves me with about 32" between the door-side of the trailer and the house. I guess that's not terrible, I might be able to live with 32" of space, and if I can get it closer to the fence then I might end up with a full 36" of space.

Overhead 2D rendering of the space
2D mockup with 8-foot tall gate and fence.png

I'm using the floorplanner.com new 3d tool, they don't seem to let you pan left-right on your view so I'm going to have to use their older 3d tool, which is really going to be slow ...

(edit: I had a very tall trailer in the first pic I posted, going to redo this at 9.75' tall which is in line with a trailer that I actually saw online.

3d mockup elevated looking straight at gate.png
3D mockup looking at gate.png
3D mockup looking from street & neighbords yard.png
3D mockup looking from street.png

Last edited:

tbplus10

Staff member
1000 Posts
Community Leader
A few years back I excavated my side yard down 4" and filled it with 5" of gravel. My side yard is 14' wide and 41' long.
The advantages of gravel are you can park on it without sinking, it offers great irrigation, clean up is as easy as raking the gravel and killing any weeds.
I do need to add a few inchs of gravel this spring due to settling, but I want to put up a pole barn over the area first to keep debris off of what ever I park underneath.
I recently bought a used 30' camp trailer that will be getting parked there after I move my Tacoma and Carson car trailer somewhere else.

toyotafan

Staff member
1000 Posts
My dad did that when we were kids, dug down a few inches put railroad timbers down for edges and filed with gravel. Worked great.

toyotafan

Staff member
1000 Posts
So I got most of the fence fixed, but it's really muddy on my side yard and with 2 days of light rain the clay is too slick to work on. So, I probably will contract it out as I don't have any more time.

Making matters worse, I am moving the fence forward, but my neighbor has put a lot of junk on their side yard and it's moved onto our property line, so I have to move it back ... a hard task considering it's so muddy!!! Ugh, wish people would respect property boundaries.

tibadoe

Staff member
1000 Posts
Community Leader
I'm pretty picky when it comes to my property lines. I respect others and I expect them to respect mine. I may only have 3 acres but it's paid for and it's mine. Got home from work Friday and someone was nice enough to throw their trash in my front yard - nice :mad:

toyotafan

Staff member
1000 Posts
I looked at the property survey and looks like I have enough space to not worry about it. I put the posts right up against the property line and that gives me right about 12-feet ... the front of my house is 11.9' (11' 10 3/4") to the property line and it tapers off to 12' 3" from the rear corner of the house to the property line so I put the post in so the back corner is right at 12-feet ... so the first post is about 80% of my side of the property line ... and the 2nd post is fully inside my side as is also the 3rd post.

Post hole diggers made quick work of the holes and I used the foam mix product to set the posts in about 5 minutes ... that stuff is amazing.

Sika 33 fl. oz. Fence Post Mix-483503 - The Home Depot

No, I didn't do steel posts because it's like 2x the cost compared to the pressure treated wood posts that I got ... and I don't plan on living here long enough to get my money back out of it. ;-)

toyotafan

Staff member
1000 Posts
The goal is to be able to put a trailer on this side of the house. Because there is roughly 12-feet of properly ... now that about 5-inches will be taken up by fence, that's ok because when I build a double-gate I'll have to put in two posts on each side up front so I will have a solid 10-foot wide opening where I can park an 8-foot wide trailer.

toyotafan

Staff member
1000 Posts
Current status.

Got the new fence posts in. Waiting the two hours to hook up the fence.

About to repair the collapsed side fence.

kennythewelder

Super Moderator
Staff member
100 Posts
I get along with my neighbors now, but it hasn't always been that way. My subdivision was divided in the 1950s. My house and a lot of the houses around me were built in the mid 1970s. The lots here are fairly large for a city lot. Mine is 100x165. I have a wooded privacy fence on 2 sides. Facing my house, the neighbor on my right has the biggest house in the subdivision. Before he sold, he put a lot of work and money into the house and lot, including a $50,000 in ground pool, He raced Harley's. Well I grew up with bikes, so that wasn't the issue, but he would leave to race his bike on the weekends, and leave behind 4 teenage girls. They would have a pool part from the time he left, until he came back 2 days later. 2,3,4 AM did not mater. I would call the cops to no avail. They just would not answer the door, and the cops would leave. There pool is about 35 feet from my bed room. I had to deal with this until they sold and moved. No mater what I did, nothing helped.The new neighbors have been there for maybe 4 or 5 years now. I finally have some peace, they are quite. My coworker, ( the only other welder @ our shop) just bought a place out of town. He bought 4 acres. He has had issues with 2 of his 4 neighbors, and hasn't even moved in yet.I helped him put up a fence for his 2 large dogs. His neighbor in the front pitched a fit because she wanted access to the back side of her fence. This would mean that she would come onto his property. He said I can not do that, my dogs ( a boxer and a chow) will bite you. He had to go to the court house and get a copy of the land plot to show where the property lines are, and show this to his neighbor before they would leave him alone.

toyotafan

Staff member
1000 Posts
I remember back in 1980 when we moved into a new house in Spokane, WA. My dad wanted side-access to the backyard but it was about a 9 inches too narrow, so the neighbor came over and said he didn't care on that side of the house, go ahead and move the fence 1-foot onto his property and he didn't care. I think as a gesture of good-will we tapered the fence so that in the back it gave him an extra 1-foot on the back of their property where they had a play area for their kids. Just did a hand-shake deal.

Now I went above and beyond on this to make certain that almost all of this fence extension was on my side of the property line and only one post is just right on the property line ... mostly because the difference between 12-feet and 11-feet 8-inches isn't enough for me to worry about.

But the fact that they stacked all that junk up on the other side really means that they've changed the way that water flows down and now that area is all muddied up. so I'll have to eventually put in a drain of some type.

Related Content You Might Like: