• FREE SPEECH SOCIAL MEDIA

If you're looking for a Free Speech Social Media site, check out Blabbook.com

- NO FACT CHECKING - NO SHADOW BANNING - NO POINT OF VIEW CENSORSHIP

Sick Engine ~ Need Help with Toyota 22re in 1991 Toyota Extended Cab

jazz

Mechanic
100 Posts
Hello
My 22re in my 91 4x4 extended cab started making an expensive sound,,rattling and knocking. Got it towed to a mechanic I know,,He'll check it out tomorrow. If it needs a new engine can anyone recommend a supplier they have used. Seems to be lots on ebay with varying prices.. I am in Northwestern Ontario but I will be shipping to my US address in Minnesota.. I am sort of hoping it is the timing chain idler thingy,,no holes in block and the noise would settle a bit with increased rpm.. Fortunately I have a spare truck,,,my son's 89 while he is out of the country

Last edited:

Daniel

Well let's hope it doesn't need a new engine. It could be a number of things and it really isn't likely that it needs a new engine. Good luck and keep us updated!

supernovax3

100 Posts
Yeah I honestly don't think you'll need an entire new engine just for some rattling sounds! There's a number of things it could be.

jazz

Mechanic
100 Posts
Well since I mentioned my motor making an expensive sound I had the truck towed the 40 miles to a mechanic and had a UnitedEngines rebuilt 22re installed. I pickup the truck in the morning. The mechanic has been driving it around for a day or so,,make sure no leaks.. I will also find out WTF went wrong with the engine as I will be bringing home the old engine..

supernovax3

100 Posts
Did the mechanic check it out and find something wrong or did you just decide to replace the engine to avoid fooling with it?

jazz

Mechanic
100 Posts
No,,mechanic could hear the banging from inside the engine as I described,,he also noted the oil was very dirty considering i had changed the oil a few weeks previous..something had been wearing and with 180K miles on the engine I decided a bandaid was not the solution long term. I bought the truck out of Cedar Falls Iowa and the truck is in excellent condition and worthy of a new engine..No poop in the body.
Picked up the truck this morning,,runs great,...I'll look at the engine this weekend as the mechanic said there were lots of chunks of metal in the oil pan.
There is 3/16" of slack on the second bearing from the front of engine..guess the whole bearing is gone.

Last edited:

jazz

Mechanic
100 Posts
The rebuilt engine from United Engines in CA. works great. Nothing like a new engine to make you realize how tired the old one was..also had a new clutch installed at the same time...was not much left of the old clutch..

TruckRider

Mechanic
1000 Posts
great, good luck for your new engine.. Would mind How many day does it takes to changes the engine?

Last edited:

jazz

Mechanic
100 Posts
16 hours to change the engine,,today I turned 1000 miles so I have to adjust valve gap and find the mysterious anti freeze leak that goes away once the engine warms up,,seems to be coming from around the thermostat but hard to tell with all the stuff in the way..

Last edited:

TruckRider

Mechanic
1000 Posts
Nice, I think it is better you go to the auto shop for the repair, or hire mechanic to do the troubleshooting stuff and repair unless you are also a mechanic..

jazz

Mechanic
100 Posts
The engine was $1055.00 and then another $350 for shipping. I found the antifreeze leak,,, a small coolant line on top of engine. It's a formed rubber line which had broke during engine removal and the mechanic had replaced with 3/8th fuel line,,just would not seat so I put 5/16 line and the leak stopped. I was aware he had replaced that piece. I have put about 3000 miles on the engine since the rebuild and no problems. I don't put too many miles on...as I drive my hotrod quite often.
The old engine I found had spun a bearing so still a good complete engine otherwise. ,,plus i got a set of steel factory Toyota rims with almost new toyos 31" tires set of 4 for $140. that was a steel of a deal!

Last edited:

toyotafan

Toyota Truck Club Founder
Staff member
1000 Posts
The engine was $1055.00 and then another $350 for shipping. I found the antifreeze leak,,, a small coolant line on top of engine. It's a formed rubber line which had broke during engine removal and the mechanic had replaced with 3/8th fuel line,,just would not seat so I put 5/16 line and the leak stopped. I was aware he had replaced that piece. I have put about 3000 miles on the engine since the rebuild and no problems. I don't put too many miles on...as I drive my hotrod quite often.
The old engine I found had spun a bearing so still a good complete engine otherwise. ,,plus i got a set of steel factory Toyota rims with almost new toyos 31" tires set of 4 for $140. that was a steel of a deal!
That seems really cheap for that engine, can I ask where did you order it from?

jazz

Mechanic
100 Posts
A1 United Engine Compton Ca. I thought it was a good price,, no core required. I just shopped ebay for sellers and although they offered the lowest price the fact that they had engine building history sealed the deal. Local builders wanted $2000 to rebuild my core but then I'm in Canada.

toyotafan

Toyota Truck Club Founder
Staff member
1000 Posts
Another question, how did they ship it? $350 to send an engine from Compton, CA to Canada (what part) seems very cheap also.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

bluzcruzer

That's a screaming deal on the tires. A 31" tire, alone, is 150. Considering where your at too, 1400 for the engine is a great value. If you had the 3.0 v6, it would have been more, just for the engine, not including taxes or shipping. Your choice of an engine paid a dividend there and you proly never noticed the power difference. I do consider your engine prematurely failed though. 180k is the short end of half-life for that motor. As efficient as the f/I is, it should have lasted well beyond what it did. I have a carb. 20r block, I replaced the head on, some 20 yrs ago...it was ported and cammed up...platinum plugs and I ran it hard.....still runs good with about 460k on it. I replaced it with a 21 ru, when it lost power, thinking it was wore out...turned out the vacuum advance failed, as the 21 didn't have power either....haha still don't and it runs good.

Related Content You Might Like: