• FREE SPEECH SOCIAL MEDIA

If you're looking for a Free Speech Social Media site, check out Blabbook.com

- NO FACT CHECKING - NO SHADOW BANNING - NO POINT OF VIEW CENSORSHIP

Screeching/chirping noise NOT from engine

Drake

TTC Chicks
Hey guys, I have an 85 4x4, SR5, manual and over the past month I've been hearing this really horrid screeching/chirping sound which sounds like its coming from inside or very close to my dash board/instrument cluster. It only seems to happen when the truck is cold (i.e. first drive of the morning) and it seems to be connected to my speedometer somehow too. Every time the screech/chirp cuts out my speedometer jumps (about 5mph). It only happens when I'm driving, not at idle, and usually starts somewhere between 20-40mph and has continued up until 70-80mph and can either cut in and out, or stay going constantly for up to 15 miles cruising on the freeway. Only seems to happen the first time I drive the truck for the day, as in, on the way to work but not on the way home 9 hours later, and I'm not using it in between. Has anyone else had this problem or have any idea on what it could be?

jazz

Mechanic
100 Posts
its your speedometer cable,,,,biggest POS in these trucks...replaced one in my '95 4runner,,,lasted a couple years,,,if this one goes I will use a gps as permanent elcheapo speedo....my sons is howling' like trapped cat...just disconnect at transmission for peace of mind,, he has to make the 1500 mile trek home from the mountains with that howl!
10428570_10152648959560808_2660980175963339959_n.jpeg

Last edited:

Drake

TTC Chicks
That's my best guess on what it's tied to as well. Its hard to imagine that a cable can make a sound like that. It does sound like a screeching cat. It's slowly driving me insane. btw, that snow looks absolutely miserable. I would die. Desert rat for life.......

toyotafan

Toyota Truck Club Founder
Staff member
1000 Posts
Speedo cable.

Snow is nice to visit. So is 110F temps. Then it's nice to go home.

tbplus10

Staff member
1000 Posts
Community Leader
Speedo cable is a common issue on Toyota trucks.
My 86 and 94 trucks had this issue.
Unfortunately the cable is buried at the back of the dash.
My 86 I used wd-40 and sprayed it in at the transmission connector, at the recomendation of a friend thats a mechanic, This doesnt work well and isnt recommended. The cable gummed up and snapped a week later.
The 94 I took the connector off at the back of the speedo housing and used graphite lubricant. Which is recomended by oem, this worked well since I did it in 99, and the new owner, a family member has never had an issue to this day.

Related Content You Might Like: