• FREE SPEECH SOCIAL MEDIA

If you're looking for a Free Speech Social Media site, check out Blabbook.com

- NO FACT CHECKING - NO SHADOW BANNING - NO POINT OF VIEW CENSORSHIP

Saying Hello

danz75

Hello!
New guy in the market for a used Tacoma and found this forum while searching for information on the internet. Trying to figure out what model years that are problematic and what type of issues are to be expected. So if you have any recommendations, fire away!

Looking for something dependable that will not cost me an arm and 2 legs.

TruckRider

Mechanic
1000 Posts
Welcome to club.. you can find more valuable information here just dig more on threads. What is the model of your Taco?

tbplus10

Staff member
1000 Posts
Community Leader
Truthfully there are no model years really more problematic than others.
95 thru 2004 had a recall for frame corrosion out of over a million trucks in the recall less than 2000 were coroded enough to qualify for repair or buy back. This was a Toyota factory choice to recall and offer buy backs. The problem simply wasnt as bad as they thought.
2005 through present trucks really dont have many issues to speak of.
The biggest issue I think youll have will be locating a low mileage truck for sale most owners hang on to them and rack up the mileage realatively trouble free.

danz75

Welcome to club.. you can find more valuable information here just dig more on threads. What is the model of your Taco?
I don't have a Taco yet. Browsing the selections on CL everyday hoping to find a well maintained low mileage truck.

- - - Updated - - -

Truthfully there are no model years really more problematic than others.
95 thru 2004 had a recall for frame corrosion out of over a million trucks in the recall less than 2000 were coroded enough to qualify for repair or buy back. This was a Toyota factory choice to recall and offer buy backs. The problem simply wasnt as bad as they thought.
2005 through present trucks really dont have many issues to speak of.
The biggest issue I think youll have will be locating a low mileage truck for sale most owners hang on to them and rack up the mileage realatively trouble free.
How reliable is the A/T? I have a 4cyl 5spd accord as a DD so would prefer to get another M/T. On the other hand, the better half does not do so well with M/T so trying to get an opinion of how reliable the A/T is and how much maintenance is required. It seems that the 4cyl is adequate if I keep to the 05-06 years?

toyotafan

Toyota Truck Club Founder
Staff member
1000 Posts
Hey Danz. Looking for a used Tacoma is a pretty broad question to ask? What's the range of features you're looking for and the same for what years are you looking for?

- - - Updated - - -

I don't have a Taco yet. Browsing the selections on CL everyday hoping to find a well maintained low mileage truck.

- - - Updated - - -

How reliable is the A/T? I have a 4cyl 5spd accord as a DD so would prefer to get another M/T. On the other hand, the better half does not do so well with M/T so trying to get an opinion of how reliable the A/T is and how much maintenance is required. It seems that the 4cyl is adequate if I keep to the 05-06 years?
Ok, I just saw this additional post that you made. For the most part you're not going to have any major issues with the Tacoma AT, it's common to have no issues at all even in excess of 200k miles just as long as the vehicle overall has been properly maintained and not abused. You should be able to figure that out just by looking at it and checking for things like oil change receipts and other paperwork.

Related Content You Might Like: