• FREE SPEECH SOCIAL MEDIA

If you're looking for a Free Speech Social Media site, check out Blabbook.com

- NO FACT CHECKING - NO SHADOW BANNING - NO POINT OF VIEW CENSORSHIP

Roof Rack Cross Bars on 4Runner

awonderingdawn

TTC Chicks
I was considering getting roof rack cross bars for my 4Runner- as my boyfriend and I tend to take a lot of stuff along with us when we travel (mainly going out camping) and we fill our trucks pretty full. With that being said, I'm curious on the kinds of things that can actually be carried on the roof? What sorts of items do you bring along with you using your roof rack cross bars? And what items have not stowed well up there?

toyotafan

Toyota Truck Club Founder
Staff member
1000 Posts
I'm not sure about the 4runner but most mfg's have this as an option and many times you need to really think about going OEM if you want to add these if you didn't have them from the factory.

rickc5

Our back yard
Staff member
100 Posts
Community Leader
For what you would pay for just the cross bars from your Toyota stealer, you could make a big dent in a new after-market roof rack, like a Gobi (http://www.gobiracks.com/racks_detail.cfm?ID=543). The Stealth model is $1595.00. My neighbor carries all the usual lightweight "soft stuff" on his Gobi, like tent, sleeping bags, duffel bags full of clothes, and (of course) folding chairs stuffed in their bags.

Last edited:

toyotafan

Staff member
1000 Posts
Here's an image for that aftermarket unit.

Also, there are a lot of online OEM parts houses these days that really bring the price down, sometimes 25 or 30 percent less than a dealer.

MuddyTacoma

Mechanic
1000 Posts
Are those units designed to replace the factory roof rack, that is you take off the original and install this in the factory holes already in the roof?

rickc5

Our back yard
Staff member
100 Posts
Community Leader
Muddy, I'm almost positive Gobi uses factory mounting holes, but you will need to contact Gobi to find out whether the factory rails get removed or not. I posted a link to their web site--go for it!

awonderingdawn

TTC Chicks
For what you would pay for just the cross bars from your Toyota stealer, you could make a big dent in a new after-market roof rack, like a Gobi (http://www.gobiracks.com/racks_detail.cfm?ID=543). The Stealth model is $1595.00. My neighbor carries all the usual lightweight "soft stuff" on his Gobi, like tent, sleeping bags, duffel bags full of clothes, and (of course) folding chairs stuffed in their bags.
Thanks for the tip. I appreciate it. I'll look into the Gobi brand racks. I was hoping to find something that could hold the same general items- tents, sleeping bags, suitcases, etc.

Can larger heavier coolers be carried on top of a roof rack? Do they travel well up there- or is that too much wind-resistance to stay put (even when secured down)?

toyotafan

Staff member
1000 Posts
You can put anything you want up there, but the more wind resistance you have the worse your handling will be and it's going to eat your MPG.

rickc5

Our back yard
Staff member
100 Posts
Community Leader
Steve's right. The greater wind resistance will kill your gas mileage, plus there's wind noise to consider. Also, getting heavier stuff up and down can be a hassle. OTOH, the Gobi is strong enough to carry just about anything.

The rack Steve posted the photo of is for a 4Runner with a sun roof. If you do NOT have a sun roof, the entire area from front to back is steel mesh, and can be used for carrying.

toyotafan

Staff member
1000 Posts
Several manufacturers build slant-nosed canvas (or plastic) bolt-ons as well that give you a formed shape designed to give you better control, etc. However, Rick's right you have to be able to get up there easily and load/unload and most of the time that's a two man job if it's heavy.

awonderingdawn

TTC Chicks
Thanks for answering the cooler-question, guys- I appreciate it. We were thinking it'd be better off for our tents and light-weight gear, but we were curious about the cooler.

jazz

Mechanic
100 Posts
When i had my 4runner i went to the bone yard and took a set of factory roof racks off a jeep and Installed them. jeeps are plentiful so $20 for roof racks was all the yard wanted. The sole purpose was for hauling a canoe but you could load quite a bit of weight on them. Couple hundred pounds for sure. If you have to ever carry extra fuel you don't want it in the vehicle,,,the roof or one of those back racks are handy.

awonderingdawn

TTC Chicks
When i had my 4runner i went to the bone yard and took a set of factory roof racks off a jeep and Installed them. jeeps are plentiful so $20 for roof racks was all the yard wanted. The sole purpose was for hauling a canoe but you could load quite a bit of weight on them. Couple hundred pounds for sure. If you have to ever carry extra fuel you don't want it in the vehicle,,,the roof or one of those back racks are handy.
That is very efficient of you! I never even thought of repurposing an old rough rack from a different model vehicle for my 4Runner. Awesome idea. Not sure I'm handy enough to make sure that all goes smoothly, but I give you a lot of props for being so creative.

jazz

Mechanic
100 Posts
I can't think of the name of tool right now,,brain fart ya know. But You can buy nuts that will install into sheet metal with a tool similar to a rivet gun...dont own one as the shop the sells the nuts lends me theirs for $5 for the day whenever I have needed one.. so just a matter of drilling hole in appropriate spot and securing nut,,,someone here will know the name of the hardware
Factory roof racks are factory quality! and generally in very good condition if the vehicle has been kept upright.

awonderingdawn

TTC Chicks
I can't think of the name of tool right now,,brain fart ya know. But You can buy nuts that will install into sheet metal with a tool similar to a rivet gun...dont own one as the shop the sells the nuts lends me theirs for $5 for the day whenever I have needed one.. so just a matter of drilling hole in appropriate spot and securing nut,,,someone here will know the name of the hardware
Factory roof racks are factory quality! and generally in very good condition if the vehicle has been kept upright.
Well awesome, I'll have to look into that option as well then. It could definitely save me quite a bit of money, and sounds like a great alternative to the new ones I was looking at on eBay.

Related Content You Might Like: