• FREE SPEECH SOCIAL MEDIA

If you're looking for a Free Speech Social Media site, check out Blabbook.com

- NO FACT CHECKING - NO SHADOW BANNING - NO POINT OF VIEW CENSORSHIP

Rodent Wiring Issue

sdg911

Hello - I have a 2016 Tacoma and recently the engine wiring harness was eaten by rodents. Not covered by warrantee and service rep. told me it is an age old problem. I found this strange as the vehicle does not sit idle and is used daily. Googled the issue and was surprised by the number of similar incidents reported apparently due to the soy based wire cover.
Would like to hear if anyone else has had this problem and what if anything can be done to prevent it. - Thanks

tbplus10

Staff member
1000 Posts
Community Leader
My 99 Tacoma and a few other vehicles sit idle for months at a time, some in a warehouse, others in an open yard.
I have a small crew of yard cats (5) that take care of rodent duties for me. All they ask is fresh water and a bowl of dry food every morning.
They reward me with dead rodent carcases at least once a week on the front porch

tibadoe

Staff member
1000 Posts
Community Leader
I have read about some having this issue across several forums. Glad to report no issues on my vehicles - "knock on wood!!!!"

sdg911

this really bites, no pun intended. How extensive was the damage?
Manageable - $600 - but the problem is it could happen again tomorrow based on what I have read about the soy based wire coating issue. Class action lawsuits are starting up in various areas of the US. Google Toyota - Soy based wiring issue and you will be surprised.

jazz

Mechanic
100 Posts
Wife just brought this to my attention. Her Camry does not have the tasty wiring. Its not just Toyota but most other brands as well.
It does explain something. A car at work got ravaged under the hood by a ground hog! I saw the ground hog walk out from under hood when employee banged on hood but no doubt critter returned again..

Related Content You Might Like: