• FREE SPEECH SOCIAL MEDIA

If you're looking for a Free Speech Social Media site, check out Blabbook.com

- NO FACT CHECKING - NO SHADOW BANNING - NO POINT OF VIEW CENSORSHIP

Reviews of the optional 4Runner Cargo Cover?

PaleoMama

Staff member
TTC Chicks
100 Posts
Community Leader
Anyone have any experience with this OEM retractable cargo cover? I haven't been able to see one installed, to have a chance to try it out. Apparently, it stops short of covering the entire contents below, but there don't appear to be any after-market alternatives.

Thoughts, before I drop $125 on what looks to be a so-so cover?

rickc5

Our back yard
Staff member
100 Posts
Community Leader
We have one, and it's not bad except there's a noticeable gap between it an the back of the 2nd row seat. Lexus adds some sort of soft panel that attaches to the headrests to close this gap, but NOT Toyota. There's no place to store it in the vehicle when you need to remove it for a tall/big object either. Ours spends a lot of time leaning against the wall of our garage.

PaleoMama

Staff member
TTC Chicks
100 Posts
Community Leader
Well, we've had the cover for a few months now. I am still irked that I spent over $125 for what amounts to a modified retractable window shade :p The shade does its job, but man, what a pain to put back in place every time we have to retract it. It's just awkward and could use some refinement.

Toyota Girl

100 Posts
Seems like more vehicle have these cheesy retractable shades that are way overbuilt and get in the way a lot of the time.

Proudshamrock

We have one, and it's not bad except there's a noticeable gap between it an the back of the 2nd row seat. Lexus adds some sort of soft panel that attaches to the headrests to close this gap, but NOT Toyota. There's no place to store it in the vehicle when you need to remove it for a tall/big object either. Ours spends a lot of time leaning against the wall of our garage.
There is a place to store it. Next to the spare tire there's a slot especially made to store the cover. ☺

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

Crazy8

My buddy has one and depending on what you are loading in, it can be a pain. He said he wished he didn't spend the $120 he did on it.

toyotafan

Toyota Truck Club Founder
Staff member
1000 Posts
Factory OEM and Aftermarket quality and price have been closing in on each other in the past couple of generations of cars and trucks, but the cost of the oem net seems pretty high to me.

rickc5

Our back yard
Staff member
100 Posts
Community Leader
We have a 2014 Trail, just like Steve's second photo. Trust me, there's NO place to "store" that cargo cover. In fact, there's no rug to lift up. We also have a 2015 Highlander, and there IS a space to store the cargo cover under the rear carpet of the Highlander.

Proudshamrock

We have a 2014 Trail, just like Steve's second photo. Trust me, there's NO place to "store" that cargo cover. In fact, there's no rug to lift up. We also have a 2015 Highlander, and there IS a space to store the cargo cover under the rear carpet of the Highlander.
I'm attaching the pictures showing the back with rug/cover closed, partially open and then it open with the cover in its spot over the tire.

uploadfromtaptalk1442251808648.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1442251847240.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1442251867231.jpg

Proudshamrock

Wait so, it really does store down there? That's pretty interesting actually.
Yes it does. In fact, I was trying to be lazy and called the dealership to ask them. They said there wasn't a storage spot but I refused to believe them and finally found it myself. [emoji4]

rickc5

Our back yard
Staff member
100 Posts
Community Leader
Guys, look at Proudshamrock's photos carefully. 1) The spare tire on a 5th gen 4Runner drops down from underneath the truck--it isn't stored in the back like his photos show. 2) the photos show a distinct curvature to the rear of that (unknown) vehicle. A 5th gen 4Runner is flat across the back and doesn't curve. 3) No 5th gen 4Runner has that lift-up panel, nor that storage bin under the panel. 4) Where are the little storage bins above the wheel wells? I really do not believe that's a 5th gen 4Runner. I don't know WHAT that is.

Related Content You Might Like: