• FREE SPEECH SOCIAL MEDIA

If you're looking for a Free Speech Social Media site, check out Blabbook.com

- NO FACT CHECKING - NO SHADOW BANNING - NO POINT OF VIEW CENSORSHIP

Request for information- 93 base pickup manual trans shift issues- help!?!

scandisk

• All of the sudden, the clutch pedal requires slightly more pressure- shifts fine into 1st, 2nd, & 5th gears respectively, but when in 3rd & 4th gear, the shift knob has to be held forcefully in place, otherwise the transmission slips out of gear & into neutral. Any comments appreciated, thanks!:confused:

tbplus10

Staff member
1000 Posts
Community Leader
Any grinding during shifting or while in those 2 gears?
Any new vibrations while in those gears?
Probably the first step would be to check the clutch fluid for correct level, then follow the hydraulic line down to the trans and look for fluid leaks, look for visible droplets and moist spots that indicate fluid was there.
Check the bottom of the trans below the bellhousing also.
Next pull up the shift boot, make sure the boot or inner liner arent causing issues with shifting.
Then remove the shift lever and check for unusual wear or visible damage to the mechanism in the top of the trans.
Finally check the bottom of the trans for signs of gear oil leaking, if its 2wd look under the truck, on the driveshaft, and at the rear seal for signs of leakage, 4wd look at the gasket wher the trans and t case mate. Check the trans vent at the top and the shift tower for signs of leakage.
Check the trans lube for proper level, top fill bolt on the side of the trans should have lube even with the bottom of the threads.

scandisk

Thanks very much for your response, much appreciated.

Any grinding during shifting or while in those 2 gears?
Any new vibrations while in those gears?
Probably the first step would be to check the clutch fluid for correct level, then follow the hydraulic line down to the trans and look for fluid leaks, look for visible droplets and moist spots that indicate fluid was there.
Check the bottom of the trans below the bellhousing also.
Next pull up the shift boot, make sure the boot or inner liner arent causing issues with shifting.
Then remove the shift lever and check for unusual wear or visible damage to the mechanism in the top of the trans.
Finally check the bottom of the trans for signs of gear oil leaking, if its 2wd look under the truck, on the driveshaft, and at the rear seal for signs of leakage, 4wd look at the gasket wher the trans and t case mate. Check the trans vent at the top and the shift tower for signs of leakage.
Check the trans lube for proper level, top fill bolt on the side of the trans should have lube even with the bottom of the threads.

tbplus10

Staff member
1000 Posts
Community Leader
Im hoping your problem is simply a low trans lube situation.
Dont know how long its been since the gear lube was changed but this might be a good time to change it. Redline makes a great gear lube that has correct specs for Toyota gearboxs and has been known to sometimes solve problems with gearboxs.

scandisk

Thanks again. The trans lube hasn't been changed to my knowledge. After having it diagnosed by a transmission shop, I'm told that it needs a new transmission, to the tune of around $2000, which is out of the question. I've found a good working one that installed should be under $500. Fingers crossed, thanks again for your help!

tbplus10

Staff member
1000 Posts
Community Leader
Needs a new trans, what did they say was wrong with it?
Toyota transmissions are very stout, I know of very few that have needed replacing.
On the other hand your replacement sounds like a good deal.

scandisk

They weren't specific, but provided a diagnosis after test driving it. I suspect synchros. Now I'm leaning toward selling it shortly after the repairs- the shop said bearings are on their way out in the differential, and suggested replacing the clutch, too. It does have 170k miles on it, so I'm considering upgrading. I really like my Dad's 07 Tacoma.

tbplus10

Staff member
1000 Posts
Community Leader
If you decide to sell I highly encourage you sell to a private owner, even a Toyota dealer will lowball you on the truck.
These trucks still command good prices even with issues like yours.
Im sure the shop offered to replace the bearings too, it shouldnt run but a few hundred to have them replaced, unless they go in and find bad gears.
Im sure a new/newer truck looks good right now, but the cost of a couple truck payments could get the issues on this one fixed.

scandisk

Understood. I recently saw an identical truck (with more miles) go for close to $2k on eBay. Resale value is so much better than other nameplates. I'll keep you posted on progress, I'm hoping to have repairs completed on Mon. Have a great weekend- Tim

Related Content You Might Like: