• FREE SPEECH SOCIAL MEDIA

If you're looking for a Free Speech Social Media site, check out Blabbook.com

- NO FACT CHECKING - NO SHADOW BANNING - NO POINT OF VIEW CENSORSHIP

Newbie Seeking sage wisdom

4x4G

I just bought an 85 sr5 with a 22r on the premise that I needed to replace the head gasket. Sparing a lot of painful and expensive details, I am completely rebuilding the engine from the ground up. I need guidance as to what to do with my fuel delivery. Having just an engine block (replacing the main bearings, rod bearings, new head, new rings, water pump, oil pump bla bla bla etc.) I am faced with the choice of returning to a carb (reman or aftermarket??) or converting to an RE ( factory equipment or aftermarket??). Any sage wisdom from ol' toyota freaks with much more experience than myself would be very helpful.

tbplus10

Staff member
1000 Posts
Community Leader
If it's a 22R theres differences on the intake manifold and you'll need a lot of intake parts to make it run right, the parts are going to be hard to find.
If it were me I'd put the truck together with the carb and work my way though assembling an injected set-up, I just think finding the parts is going to be a big task on it's own.
I'd use a factory Electronic injection system, I dont think I ever saw an aftermarket set-up that worked as good and I dont believe anyone sells a new aftermarket kit anymore.
The truck will run much better and get better MPG injected, but to go that route its gonna take time, it'll be time well spent though.
Wise choice rebuilding the whole engine, if it spent any amount of time with a blown head gasket you dont know where the coolant intrusion stopped and most times wont find out until it's all back together and you fire it up.

4x4G

Thanks for taking the time to help out. sounds like a good plan. I have all the parts now to make the carburated version run. I do have some good resources to get EFI parts but I like the idea of building it as time permits then doing the swap down the road. I have heard of a need to adjust block height when switching to EFI... Any ideas?

tbplus10

Staff member
1000 Posts
Community Leader
Never experienced or heard of that issue, and I've done more than a few intake swaps on Toyota trucks.
Are you talking engine height in the engine bay or head deck height?
I know a few years ago there were guys modding the block deck height in conjunction with building the engine into a stroker, I think most of them found out that increased compression to much and led to blown head gaskets.
As far as fitting in the engine bay the EFI system has no clearance problems.

TruckRider

Mechanic
1000 Posts
Thanks for taking the time to help out. sounds like a good plan. I have all the parts now to make the carburated version run. I do have some good resources to get EFI parts but I like the idea of building it as time permits then doing the swap down the road. I have heard of a need to adjust block height when switching to EFI... Any ideas?

Hi! any updates, How did you get this figured out?

Related Content You Might Like: