• FREE SPEECH SOCIAL MEDIA

If you're looking for a Free Speech Social Media site, check out Blabbook.com

- NO FACT CHECKING - NO SHADOW BANNING - NO POINT OF VIEW CENSORSHIP

New user. Interested in a couple of things!

Ignignog

Hi there! I've come here to learn some things about the trucks Toyota makes before I make a purchase. I wasn't very interested in trucks until recently, and now I'm seeing more and more every day the benefits they can bring. The reason I've chosen Toyo over Mitsu or Nissan is almost purely style, but there are a couple of other things. One of which is part of the reason I created this topic, and that would be engine swaps. Is there a community for that here, or does anyone have any personal experience with it? Thanks in advance for your help, and I hope that I find my time here useful!

Ignignog

Well I've got a couple of ideas, but the primary one I'm interested in is a 2jz out of a mk 4 Supra. I figured I'd have a better shot at parts matching up since the make is the same.

tbplus10

Staff member
1000 Posts
Community Leader
The 2JZ doesnt bolt up to any of the truck transmissions, so you need the Supra trans.
The 1996 Supra auto trans is probably the best option but you need the matching ecm to operate due to obd 2 issues.
A Gertrag 6spd could be made to work but you would need to use the Supra hydraulic clutch assy which would mean modifying the clutch pedal and swing assy.
Also due to obd 2 issues you would either have to rewire/modify the dash controls and gauges or use the Supa controls/gauges.
Lots of work either way.

Ignignog

I'd probably end up getting the motor with a trans anyway, if I am to make that call. Either way it won't be for a while, so I'll probably put this idea off for some time until I have more experience. I'm still looking for the right vehicle after all. xD

At any rate, thank you kindly for your information tbplus. Knowledge is always nice to see in forums!

Sounds like a project for an older Toyota pick-up. Probably not worth the time and/or money for a newer Tacoma. What year truck were you looking at getting? Why not just the supercharger for the V6?

Jesse

Ignignog

Sounds like a project for an older Toyota pick-up. Probably not worth the time and/or money for a newer Tacoma. What year truck were you looking at getting? Why not just the supercharger for the V6?

Jesse
I was planning on an older Hilux anyway. I like the first gen of the Tacoma, but nothing newer, and I don't want to deal with the VZ. I'm a firm believer that the best engine layouts are I 4, I 6, and V12, for efficiency, balance, and both. (respectively) As for the supercharger idea, I'm more of a turbo guy, and if no turbo then n/a. I don't like the idea of taking power to give power.

Last edited:

Ignignog

Apparently there were two diesel I6's that were available in the FJ stock. 3.6 H series, and the 4.0 2H. I know next to nothing about how good these motors are though.

I would guess "tough as nails" due to the fact that most countries other than the US (Australia, middle east, south america) had those as primary motors, or atleast options..... and they were made for the Land Cruiser, which has quite a reputation for reliability.

Jesse

tbplus10

Staff member
1000 Posts
Community Leader
Wouldnt it be cool to be able to get some of the older FJ Diesels over here?
Ive been reading that the FEDs are cracking down on imported SUV's, they already impounded close to a dozen in the last few weeks that the owners imported over the last few years. NHTSA deemed the vehicles didnt meet safety standards or emissions.

Yep.... bunch of BS. It used to be much easier, like 15 - 20 years ago. probably easier to put a diesel into a pre-smog Cruiser, like my 1970.... they will never know. He he he

Last edited:

tbplus10

Staff member
1000 Posts
Community Leader
Yep, gotta figure ways to work the system.
Older converted rigs are still the best bet if you can find a good conversion candidate.

85Toyota

I'm wanting to do a 2jz swap on my '85 after i got all bodywork and paint done and now that it's lookin' the way i want, guess what's next?

Sent from:
None of your truckin' business!!!!!

Toyota Girl

100 Posts
Welcome to ttc!

Here's my generic welcome message. Where are you from and what are you driving? Post pics too in the gallery!

Related Content You Might Like: