• FREE SPEECH SOCIAL MEDIA

If you're looking for a Free Speech Social Media site, check out Blabbook.com

- NO FACT CHECKING - NO SHADOW BANNING - NO POINT OF VIEW CENSORSHIP

New user and hopefully a new toyota truck owner (need some advise)

hookydoo

Hi there! I'm in a position where I may be able to land a broken 1990 toyota 4cyl 5speed manual pickup. What I need to know is what could be wrong with it... All I know is that while the owner was driving, both rear wheels locked up and he skidded to a stop. once hooked up to a tow truck, the rear driveshaft snapped when they tried to move it. The engine still runs fine, and the end of the driveshaft still attached to the transmission turns freely when you run through the gears. Any thoughts or guesses? I'm thinking my problem is around the differential.

I can post some pics when I get some, thanks!

toyotafan

Toyota Truck Club Founder
Staff member
1000 Posts
Can you get underneath and check for an visual debris or anything that could have wedged in somewhere.

Tranny probably froze up is my first thought ... but you say that it turns freely? This is a 2wd model?

tbplus10

Staff member
1000 Posts
Community Leader
Pull the wheels and brake drums off look for a sticking brake shoe.
If its a long bed check the center driveshaft carrier to see if its frozen.
With the drums off see if the rear axles spin by hand.
if they dont spin pull the diff and look at the gears for broken teeth.
Not uncommon for a locked rear to snap a driveshaft, locked trans or center carrier bearing will do the same at speed.

hookydoo

This is a 4wd model. This is all great advise! I'll be sure to report back with details when I get a chance to peak around.

Related Content You Might Like: