• FREE SPEECH SOCIAL MEDIA

If you're looking for a Free Speech Social Media site, check out Blabbook.com

- NO FACT CHECKING - NO SHADOW BANNING - NO POINT OF VIEW CENSORSHIP

New Tacoma for Christmas!

rickc5

Our back yard
Staff member
100 Posts
Community Leader
True story, Santa's bringing me a 2021 Tacoma TRD Pro around Christmas. After almost 2 years of attempting to go off-roading in the Tundra, I decided that we really needed a smaller truck. After much messing around on Toyota's web site ("building" different Tacomas), I decided that the TRD Pro best met my requirements. Unlike the TRD Pro Tundra, Toyota has added the bells & whistles to the Tacoma TRD Pro that we want, like sunroof, leather, auto HVAC, etc. When you try to add all this to a TRD Off-Road Tacoma, the price actually exceeds the TRD Pro's price when you're done by over $2K. How dumb is THAT?

Of course, TRD Pro Tacomas are extremely hard to find. Not wishing to drive to Denver during the pandemic, I was forced to deal with the local dealers here on the Western Slope. Turns out I had to "order" the truck through the Grand Junction dealer as no other dealer was willing to do so. We ordered the "Lunar Rock" color, which we were able to see in person. It's a light/medium grey, with a slight greenish tint. Not a metallic color paint either. Should hide the dirt pretty easily.

Also decided to get a topper/camper shell this time as I really don't care for the Toyota tonneau cover we put on the Tundra--too much water & dirt gets in. Trying to decide between an A.R.E. topper, or one from RSi SmartCap from South Africa. The RSi topper is made of stainless steel rather than fiberglass, but I more interested in keeping out dirt & water. I'll be talking to the local topper dealer in a few days.

rickc5

Our back yard
Staff member
100 Posts
Community Leader
Visited the local topper dealer and he actually had several RSi toppers in stock. Looks like a VERY nicely made topper, but quite industrial looking. Makes a truck look like a truck, not a sleek SUV thing. Only comes in flat black, as no paint matching is available (RSi's web site is wrong on this). Price seems a bit high until you price out a comparable A.R.E. topper that's been painted to match. I will likely go with this topper when the time comes.

rickc5

Our back yard
Staff member
100 Posts
Community Leader
Nice Christmas gift for you. I have not seen this model yet.
Thanks, D
Toyota has been producing TRD Pro models of the Tacoma, Tundra and Sequoia for several years, since 2016 at least. The Pro edition has a unique off-road suspension with Fox shocks, off-road tires and factory skid plates. They also come in some unique colors, depending on the year. For 2021, the unique color is "Lunar Rock", but other colors (silver, grey, black, maybe white) are also available. The best thing--for me--is that the Pro can be taken off-road without any additional mods being made--it's totally ready to go.

Most dealers only get a handful of Pro vehicles per year, and since Lunar Rock is only one of several colors, our dealer believes that he may not receive any more Tacomas in Lunar Rock, as he has already received one (pre-sold).

Related Content You Might Like: