• FREE SPEECH SOCIAL MEDIA

If you're looking for a Free Speech Social Media site, check out Blabbook.com

- NO FACT CHECKING - NO SHADOW BANNING - NO POINT OF VIEW CENSORSHIP

New Member, 4th Gen Truck, 4WD Gone

old truck

Hi everyone.

I hope to have some pics for you soon. This is my first Toyota. It was a gift to me from a friend. I used to do small bits of free work on it for him. Simple stuff like clutch cylinders and fuel filters. It's a 22R with 123,000 miles, many of which were on a fold-up tow bar behind my friend's father's motor home, hubs unlocked. Most of its other miles were commuting to computer work jobs by my friend. No rock crawling and such. Its biggest issue, so far as I could see, was some rust. Anyway, he was done with it and wanted me to sell it for him, and when I just never got around to doing that for him, he gave it to me.

After a while, I realized I needed a pickup without a canopy. My neighbors had one I could use any time, but it had a canopy and we all really needed a truck around here that we could toss stuff into the bed. So, I decided to make the Toyota that truck. The worst thing about this truck was its bench seat. It was torture, with bent and busted springs that hurt my back and butt. I had a dead '70s Accord and the buckets literally bolted in. All I had to do was file the mounts' holes an eighth of an inch wider. Then, with comfortable seats, I started liking this rig. I took off the canopy and added a lumber rack from Craigslist, a receiver hitch from a thrift store, and a winch from a garage sale.

One of the first outings went only three miles before a stuck front caliper was discovered and a rotor was already warped. The calipers are now restored to functional and the rotors replaced. Then came two shakedown cruises of over 100 miles and one of over 200 miles. Everything seemed to be working okay. Then, two days ago I was going only about 25 miles, round trip, part of which was a friend's steep dirt and rock driveway. On the way there, the truck started backfiring and not being able to idle. It also became hard to start, obviously flooding. Downhill and slowing down involved a series of backfires. Still, we went on to the destination. We locked the hubs and drove to the top (about 500 feet overall). On the way down, it was not running well, what with too much fuel. BTW, its a carburetor. It's also a 5 speed. It felt like the brakes were sticking again, as there seemed to be a serious dragging. I stopped about halfway down and had my copilot unlock the hubs. Still the dragging was there and getting quickly worse. We got about 50 feet from the bottom and it just would not roll any more. The clutch would slip but it would not go. I was stuck in 4WD. I could go to either 4wd range, but not to 2WD high. Even in 4WD tranfer case neutral, it would not budge. It would go backwards a few inches but no more. I finally got it out of 4WD by rocking it backwards uphill, clutching, and trying for 2WD. It wasn't easy on that steep hill. It make some bad noises.

Once in 2WD, we drove home okay, backfiring when off the throttle. The backfiring was fixed yesterday when I adjusted the float valve by bending the tab and slightly stretching the little spring inside the needle. Why the float valve suddenly messed up and overfilled the bowl, I haven't any idea. But it's okay now and is running fine with the fuel level where it's supposed to be in the sight glass. However, it's still stuck when in 4WD and has to be rocked to get back into 2WD.

So, there I am, as I type this. I need the 4WD around here, so I have to fix this. I'm hoping to get your collective wisdom to help me out.

Thanks in advance.

old truck

Related Content You Might Like: