• FREE SPEECH SOCIAL MEDIA

If you're looking for a Free Speech Social Media site, check out Blabbook.com

- NO FACT CHECKING - NO SHADOW BANNING - NO POINT OF VIEW CENSORSHIP

New Jeep Gladiator Thoughts?

rickc5

Our back yard
Staff member
100 Posts
Community Leader
My neighbor's a real Jeep nut and is going ga-ga over these. To me it's just another Jeep and NOT a Toyota. A couple of observations: 1) ONLY the Rubicon has anything like an off-road suspension & tires. 2) The bed is real shallow. 3) Red dash panels? Ewww!

kennythewelder

Super Moderator
Staff member
100 Posts
I like it a lot, but Im not spending that much money on anything. New car prices are just way to high. One of the big lessons I learned learned from working as a mechanic at Lincoln Mercury back in the day was, the second that new car leaves the lot,its used and you just lost at least 30 percent of its value.

kennythewelder

Super Moderator
Staff member
100 Posts
I have to agree with you on this. The cost of a new vehicle has outpaced inflation.
Since I got laid off from offshore, and started working in town @ about a 40 percent pay cut, I keep a close eye on what I spend, and although I could but one, I just cant see spending that much money. I save a lot of money by not having any car payments, but I was an auto mechanic once a upon a time.

tibadoe

Staff member
1000 Posts
Community Leader
When vehicle shopping a few months ago, I briefly checked out the Wranglers including the Gladiator. Just could not justify the cost any way I looked at it.

toyotafan

Toyota Truck Club Founder
Staff member
1000 Posts
So the styling looks better in person than in videos online. It's still a small cab overall when you think about it, so it's a competitor for the Tacoma in a way, the Chevy Colorado a bit, maybe even the new Ford Ranger, but I'll give them the benefit of the doubt that the base model Gladiator is more off- road capable than other base- models. But, something about it looks like it was not engineered to be an all-out offroading beasts. But instead just a jeep wrangler with a bed thrown on the back.

toyotafan

Toyota Truck Club Founder
Staff member
1000 Posts
I actually redid the video, not sure if I added it back up here or not.

Here's a different version of the 2020 Jeep Gladiator.

tbplus10

Staff member
1000 Posts
Community Leader
My wife has been following the Gladiator for years. Jeep has been teasing at releasing a truck like this for a long time.
Her main reason was because she owned a CJ-8 Scrambler in the 80's, and has been looking for another one for years, unfortunately when her original CJ-8 was wrecked we weren't in a position to rebuild it or find a suitable replacement.
I was slightly worried she would want a new Gladiator, (I wont pay the inflated price tag even for her) but she went to test drive one and came home complaining it would never measure up to her CJ-8. Crises averted.
Her main complaint was its too dressed up and she'd never be comfortable taking it off-road because the interior was to dressy and would be impossible to clean. She owns a 93 Jeep YJ Wrangler right now that gets mild off-roading about 4 times a year, but the nice thing is its Rhino lined inside and can be sprayed out when it gets dusty and dirty.

Related Content You Might Like: