• FREE SPEECH SOCIAL MEDIA

If you're looking for a Free Speech Social Media site, check out Blabbook.com

- NO FACT CHECKING - NO SHADOW BANNING - NO POINT OF VIEW CENSORSHIP

Need New Shocks ... Suggestions?

jazz

Mechanic
100 Posts
I need to replace the front shocks on my avatar truck.. anyone using Bilstein shocks? Or, what type are you using? I just noticed mine are not performing. Fishing season started and handling is pretty wonky in the front end. Shocks are pooched.

toyotafan

Toyota Truck Club Founder
Staff member
1000 Posts
Bilstein shocks are certainly fine overall. I've never been convinced that any of the typical higher quality shocks are any better than any other, unless you are planning to do some serious offroading then you need to step it up more than just shocks.

tbplus10

Staff member
1000 Posts
Community Leader
My preference would depend on where the truck gets used most.
If its off road mostly I'd use Rancho frt/rr.
On road and off road equally Bilstein frt, Rancho rr.
Nothing but roads Bilstein frt/rr.

suncomb1

I run Rancho 9000 series adjustable shocks. I have Two shocks per wheel and I can really dial in the suspension for either on the street driving or high speed off-road running.

toyotafan

Staff member
1000 Posts
I run Rancho 9000 series adjustable shocks. I have Two shocks per wheel and I can really dial in the suspension for either on the street driving or high speed off-road running.
What does your setup look like? I've known people to have adjustable shocks before but I never really get offroad that much anymore where I would need that type of suspension.

suncomb1

My suspension / chassis was designed and built by Downy Off-Road / Cal Wells. The frame is boxed / re-enforced, 4" lift with custom springs, greasable custom HD shackes, urethane bushings everywhere, custom HD dropped adjustable torque rod, custom HD dropped adjustable steering link, HD tiebar, HD sway bar, 3/8" steel plate front shock mounts welded to frame, HD spring plates / dual shock mounts and U bolts, 9 position adjustable shocks (2 per wheel), custom designed 9 position adjustable steering stabilizer, custom 4 wheel disc brakes with vented / drilled rotors, 4:88 gear ratio with custom gear type posi units F & R, adjustable axle housing braces w/ skid plates, custom designed 9 position adjustable traction shocks and custom F/R drive shafts.

Last edited:

toyotafan

Staff member
1000 Posts
My suspension / chassis was designed and built by Downy Off-Road / Cal Wells. The frame is boxed / re-enforced, 4" lift with custom springs, greasable custom HD shackes, urethane bushings everywhere, custom HD dropped adjustable torque rod, custom HD dropped adjustable steering link, HD tiebar, HD sway bar, 3/8" steel plate front shock mounts welded to frame, HD spring plates / dual shock mounts and U bolts, 9 position adjustable shocks (2 per wheel), custom designed 9 position adjustable steering stabilizer, custom 4 wheel disc brakes with vented / drilled rotors, 4:88 gear ratio with custom gear type posi units F & R, adjustable axle housing braces w/ skid plates, custom designed 9 position adjustable traction shocks and custom F/R drive shafts.
Wow, I knew it was custom but I didn't know that you put that much work into it. Nice.

suncomb1

The whole truck was totally redone in 1990. It was originally factory Black but I got tired of the Black so everything was stripped to bare metal, etched, epoxy primered and painted with Sikkens Teflon based paint (never available in the USA). The paint is about 24 years old and still has a very deep shine. Most people that look at my truck think that it is Tri-Coat painted but it is not. The color is modified Wild Strawberry Pearl Metallic. The wheels on the truck are the original wheels that came with my truck (Mojave LE / Black Package). You will notice that there are no rubber ends on the front bumper (it is a 1983), again that was part of the special package.

jazz

Mechanic
100 Posts
I installed munroe sensatrack because of the 3 year warranty. Both shocks on the truck were shot so these new ones have made a huge difference. The bottom bolts were still shiny and easy to remove without heat,,just an impact gun,,typical Toyota quality.

jordanv8819

http://www.doetsch-shocks.com

I've never used them on my toyota being that i just bought it a couple days ago but i have a set on my 2500hd and they are awesome!!! I paid right around $50 for the pair and they're adjustable and have with stood everything I've thrown at them and I'm not nice to my trucks. call them up, tell them exactly what you have done to the truck and what you use it for and they will tell you exactly what shocks you need. they are by far the most knowledgeable individuals I've spoke with on the phone and definitely know what they're talking about. for the price it's not going to break the bank just to try them if your skeptical. just my .02

Related Content You Might Like: