• FREE SPEECH SOCIAL MEDIA

If you're looking for a Free Speech Social Media site, check out Blabbook.com

- NO FACT CHECKING - NO SHADOW BANNING - NO POINT OF VIEW CENSORSHIP

Need Help With A 31 Code

ToyotaSlim

My 1989 Pickup, 22RE 4cyl 5spd, is throwing a 31code. First dealer told me it was the Air Flow Meter, so I replaced it, and it ran the same - kinda cutting out/hesitating at any speed - check engine light comes on for a few seconds and goes off. Took it back to the dealer, they told me the same thing again. Replaced it 2 more times, still no improvement.

Took it to a 2nd dealer (with the original AFM - returned the ones that didn't work any better) and they told me the same thing - AFM. Told them I didn't think so and to look further. The second day my truck was in the shop they called and said that another truck like mine just happened to be in the shop and that they took its AFM off and put it on my truck with no improvement - and that if I wanted them to check any further that it would cost even more. Since they already charged me $135 for what I already knew, I told them I'd come get it. They hinted it could be the ECU.

Bought a used ECU on eBay, and installed it, with still no improvement.....

Any ideas????

toyotafan

Toyota Truck Club Founder
Staff member
1000 Posts
Wow, what are these dealers thinking?

What is the exact code it's throwing?

ToyotaSlim

Code 31, which indicates problems in the following areas:

MANIFOLD AND/OR AIRFLOW METER SENSOR SIGNAL CIRCUIT

--AIRFLOW METER/CIRCUIT

--MANIFOLD PRESSURE SENSOR/CIRCUIT