• FREE SPEECH SOCIAL MEDIA

If you're looking for a Free Speech Social Media site, check out Blabbook.com

- NO FACT CHECKING - NO SHADOW BANNING - NO POINT OF VIEW CENSORSHIP

My Son Wants to Join the Army, what should I do?

gatorJ

My son wants to quit college and join the Army after the semester is over. College leads to many opportunities. He is studying engineering and will get a good paying job when he graduates. I appreciate what those who serve do, but my son has a good future as an engineer. Not to mention that Army recruiters tend to lie.

I apologize if anyone on here used to be an Army recruiter. There are a few honest recruiters.

tbplus10

Staff member
1000 Posts
Community Leader
Retired Navy, Enlisted to officer, for the most part all services share a lot of the same issues.
Had it to do over again I'd get my degree and go in as an officer, your treated much better as an "O", Enlisteds bust their tails for lower pay and much more work.
If you enter as Enlisted getting a commission is not a guarantee if you have or earn a degree later on, even though I had a Masters Degree in Aeronautical Engineering, and was a Rated In Flight Crew Chief on 4 Aircraft platforms, with a Pilots License, I couldnt get a commision, I ended up going Warrant Officer and that didnt happen until I had 16yrs on active duty.
Simply put I wouldnt join unless I was getting commisioned, less than that your bottom of the pile with a slow climb up.
All special schools and specialitys are available to motivated officers the same as enlisted, except the pay, chow, and general conditions are much better.
The Army has a real need for Engineering Officers, they want college trained engineering enlisteds because their cheaper and can do the same job.
Job oppourtunities after service are better for Officers, its assumed their leaders and they can normally land management positions vice blue coller for enlisted.
Any service recruiter is a salesman trying to fill a need at the lowest possible cost to their respective service, if the prospective recruit has college experience and signs on as enlisted thats a huge savings.
If he's set on joining have him look at obligation programs, these programs pay for a certain amount of school while the individual does reserve time, after graduation he would have an obligated period of active duty service time to complete as an officer.

James

100 Posts
Some good information. I was in the Navy. The major problem with joining the military is that they don't necessarily give you want you sign up for. For example, say it turns out that you are color blind, you will be forced to change jobs. Plenty of people are forced to change jobs despite that they signed up for something else.

Even if the recruiter is honest, that doesn't mean that you will get what you want. However, you do learn a lot in the Navy and can earn your degree on the government's dime.

gatorJ

I guess he is grown up and should make his own decisions. However, what can I do to persuade him not to join the Army?

tbplus10

Staff member
1000 Posts
Community Leader
After I read my reply I realized I didnt really answer your question "what can I do to persuade him not to join the Army"
Honestly, nothing if he's determined.
But possibly if you sit him down and show him the disadvantages of leaving college before graduation, and if your willing let him know you'd support his decision after he has his degree, possibly he'll change his mind between now and graduation.
Have you had a man to man discussion on whats driving his decision?
Why the sudden urge to join? The Army will be there a few years from now, specific jobs will always have openings.
As was was pointed out you dont always get what you sign for, once you sign the contract it becomes the needs of the Army, again as an officer (with a degree) your options increase.
These days with video games, movies, and fake hero's running around to many of the younger generation belive the military is all glory and action, its really more boredom, hardwork, and when you fail or worse you dont get a do over or to use an extra life.

James

100 Posts
tbplus10, some really good advice. The military is about hard work. You might even die. If you want to scare him off show him some photos of coffins coming back from Afghanistan. Find out how many people died and tell him about it. That might scare him off.

Of course it might not. But it is worth a try.

suncomb1

I would look into having him attend WEST POINT that way he can get his engineering degree and still join the Army. The Army offers programs at other schools as well that would lead to his engineering degree plus a commission. I disagree with showing him Body Bag or Coffin photos as I am sure he has seen those on TV and it could have the wrong outcome because it would possibly make him want to do something (join the Army as an enlisted man) about stopping it from happening. When you are young you have no fear, it will always be someone else who does not make it. I was an officer and did four combat tours in Vietnam (NAVY).

Miranda Kay

TTC Chicks
I guess he is grown up and should make his own decisions. However, what can I do to persuade him not to join the Army?
Maybe have him watch some youtube videos like this one that has real American soldiers and what they have to say about Iraq. While I realize we are not currently at war, this could happen at any time. If this doesn't persuade him, have him watch more Youtube videos on army soldier confessions.

Related Content You Might Like: