• FREE SPEECH SOCIAL MEDIA

If you're looking for a Free Speech Social Media site, check out Blabbook.com

- NO FACT CHECKING - NO SHADOW BANNING - NO POINT OF VIEW CENSORSHIP

Mud tires for 1988 Toyota 4X4

Rota

My truck is in need of new tires and I'd like something more aggressive for handling steep mountain trails when it gets wet than what I have now (Bridgestone Dueler A/T P235/75R15). However I've been told by Wheel Works, Goodyear, etc. that M/T's aren't available for small trucks. Is that true and if so why?

I don't want to incur the cost of re-gearing or the squirrelly ride associated with oversize wheels. Any suggestions or explanations would be appreciated.

tbplus10

Staff member
1000 Posts
Community Leader
While some tire sizes have gone away due to lager wheel sizes gaining popularity there are tire manufacturers selling the size you want.
Try ProComps M/T or A/T series tires, they still carry a full line up of sizes with reasonable prices.
I had ProComp M/T's on my truck for about 4 years and put 56K on them before switching to A/T's, I was hoping to get beter mpg since my truck started seeing less trail time and more highway time, had a slight rise in mpg, even better it handled a little better on rain slicked roadways, I'm at 34K on theses tires and fully expect to get another 15k before it's time to but new tires.
Check out http://www.4wheelparts.com/Tires.aspx?t_c=13 before you buy tires, I think it'll be worth it for you.

toyotafan

Toyota Truck Club Founder
Staff member
1000 Posts
What part of the country are you going to be doing the mountain driving in? Are you talking about non-snow and ice?

suncomb1

Look at the Dick Cepek Fun Country II tires. Great tread design, good mileage, quiet and many available sizes. They are a copy of the old Armstrong Norseman Radials and I have run that tread design for almost 30 years. They work in mud, sand, ice, snow, etc. I have found that they are just a good all round tire.

Darrin

You've literally been using it for 30 years already? Wow. I think I'm getting for myself in that case. I'm a fan of offtrack roadtrips so I often look for mud tires too. I mean honestly I think every company would always have their all around tire but this is the first time I got a feedback from a real user of it, thanks for sharing this here suncombo1.

TruckRider

Mechanic
1000 Posts
My truck is in need of new tires and I'd like something more aggressive for handling steep mountain trails when it gets wet than what I have now (Bridgestone Dueler A/T P235/75R15). However I've been told by Wheel Works, Goodyear, etc. that M/T's aren't available for small trucks. Is that true and if so why?

I don't want to incur the cost of re-gearing or the squirrelly ride associated with oversize wheels. Any suggestions or explanations would be appreciated.

Hi! any updates here, Did you get this figured out? What type of tires did you get?

Rota

I was considering Firestone Destination M/T that are available in my size. However after giving it more thought an aggressive AT tire might better suit my needs. I'm looking at the Goodyear Wrangler DuraTrac or BF Goodrich All-Terrain T/A.

Related Content You Might Like: