• FREE SPEECH SOCIAL MEDIA

If you're looking for a Free Speech Social Media site, check out Blabbook.com

- NO FACT CHECKING - NO SHADOW BANNING - NO POINT OF VIEW CENSORSHIP

More torque from a 4.0 Tacoma

windjamer

I drive a 2008 Tacoma TRD Offroad 4x4 with 4.0 V6 & stick shift 6-speed. It's rated to tow 6,500 lbs, which is OK, but I'd like it to be easier to do.

Perhaps I could change the differentials, but it might be better to install a Borla cat-back and aftermarket cold air intake, keeping my low highway revs. Do any of you 'old' pros have opinions on what route I should take?

5.7yotafan

100 Posts
I think different gearing will have the best results as far as towing but if you just want a little better performance while towing I'd go with the intake and exhaust, especially if you don't tow all the time.

1 bad tacoma

100 Posts
I have a 05 tacoma 6 speed 4x4 trd sport and I got good throttle responce and more torque from my cat back plus with a volant cold air intake with the ram air scoop and a throttle body spacer now I'm thinking of doing jba long tube headers to get a little more hp and torque. Now its up to you on what you want performance wise for 800 dollars you can get a chip from uni chip or you can check out some of the performance upgrades at www.urdusa.com they have a bounch of stuff for the 4.0 tacomas. I just bought a cc clutch stage 2 from them with a light weight steel fly wheel. Now as for towing I would go with gears but after I did all that to mine plus lift and tires mine pulls fine.

dirtydeeds

Gold Vendor
100 Posts
The biggest gains to be had are in the gearing. The only thing that you will notice more would be a supercharger/turbo. Even forced induction would greatly benefit from gearing. Here's what I would do, in this order:

1. Install gears.
2. Install custom catback exhaust using a BAMuffler
3. Install Long Tube Headers
4. Install some sort of air ram.
5. Tune computer.

Even if you only do the first thing on the list the truck will be overall much more fun!

1 bad tacoma

100 Posts
The biggest gains to be had are in the gearing. The only thing that you will notice more would be a supercharger/turbo. Even forced induction would greatly benefit from gearing. Here's what I would do, in this order:

1. Install gears.
2. Install custom catback exhaust using a BAMuffler
3. Install Long Tube Headers
4. Install some sort of air ram.
5. Tune computer.

Even if you only do the first thing on the list the truck will be overall much more fun!
When you say tune computer do you mean a chip cause I haven't seen a programmer yet for 05 and up tacomas

dirtydeeds

Gold Vendor
100 Posts
I drive a 2008 Tacoma TRD Offroad 4x4 with 4.0 V6 & stick shift 6-speed. It's rated to tow 6,500 lbs, which is OK, but I'd like it to be easier to do.

Perhaps I could change the differentials, but it might be better to install a Borla cat-back and aftermarket cold air intake, keeping my low highway revs. Do any of you 'old' pros have opinions on what route I should take?
Did u ever get this figured out?

dirtydeeds

Gold Vendor
100 Posts
the unichip intercepts signals coming from various sensors to the computer. it then intercepts those signals from the computer to the injectors/timing, etc.

it's very difficult to 'crack' toyota's code and re-flash their computer. the unichip is fully tunable to optimize your mods.

Blueberries

I just bought a cc clutch stage 2 from them with a light weight steel fly wheel. Now as for towing I would go with gears but after I did all that to mine plus lift and tires mine pulls fine.

GearHead

100 Posts
I think the easiest option here is to upgrade the air intake, although as most of you have said, changing the gearing a bit will yield the greatest results.

TruckRider

Mechanic
1000 Posts

Hi any updates to your truck? Did you fix the issue so far? HOw?

Related Content You Might Like: